View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:38 am 
I've been playing around with various file formats and I am having some problems with mp4 files.

With the internal player, some play, some stutter and some play too fast with no sound.

With mplayer, I can play them perfectly. However, I really miss the internal player's interface and menus.

Has anyone run into this? I thought they both used the same codecs sets.

I am running 5.5. I am not using xvmc. I tried turning off deinterlace, with no luck. My mplayer command is:
Code:
/usr/bin/mplayer -fs -zoom -quiet -vo xv %s
Allen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:08 pm 
@alien - mp4 is just a container format. The actual video stream inside it can vary. You probably wanna find out what format you actually have in there.

Mediainfo is what I'm using to accomplish this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:12 pm 
Code:
ffmpeg -i /path/to/file
works too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:18 pm 
While not directly helpful to you per this thread ( http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... ayer+codec ) it appears that codecs for the internal player come directly from the MythTV packages and are outside of KnoppMyth / LinHES.

I agree it would be nice to know if it's possible to add codecs as I really like using the internal player for everything since it integrates more or less seamlessly.

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:03 am 
Thanks for the info. They are h264/yup420p.

I didn't realise the internal player had it's own codecs. I'm going to see if I can find a way to update them. I would like to set the default player to Internal, but my quick test of a few random files ran into these problems I would like to fix first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:33 pm 
Site Admin
The only way to update what the internal player supports would be to do some coding in MythTV itself. While MythTV does use FFMPEG, it uses an internal copy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:03 pm 
Are you sure that you are not using xvmc? I am having a similar problem with mpeg-4 transcoded files as well. I have generated my own playback profile with xvmc first and then the standard ffmpeg as a fall back and for some reason the internal player still tries to use xvmc to decode the mpeg-4 files. If I take out the xvmc entry in the profile and just have one entry in the profile as the standard ffmpeg it will play my transcoded mpeg-4 file fine. I would like to use xvmc for mpeg-2 playback since my clunky system sometimes will stutter under a load using ffmpeg but my transcoded files will not play. Does anyone know how the internal player determines to not use xvmc and to use ffmpeg? Does it use header information? or something in the DB?

Hauppage PVR 500 MCE
Soundblaster Live
ATI Remote Wonder II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:32 am 
Cecil,

Thanks for the info. Maybe a future version of mythtv will re-import ffmpeg with some fixes. I don't think I'm going to try on my one :)

footeo,

I'm definitely not using xvmc. I have a colour OSD when the problems occur.

As for your problem, you might try to change the player used by mp4 in the "file types" section (this can override the player based on the file name extension). You could then have xvmc only in the default player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:20 pm 
I also had the problem with an MP4 video where it would only show the video and not the sound. I'm on R5.5 and using the internal player. I took your initial advice and went into

Utilies\Setup\Media Settings\Video Settings\File Types

There was no extension for MP4 so I just added one with the command
Code:
mplayer-resumer.pl -fs

This points myth to mplayer for MP4 playback. Moreover, I can still stay on Internal for everything else...

Seems good to me

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:28 am 
Quote:
The only way to update what the internal player supports would be to do some coding in MythTV itself. While MythTV does use FFMPEG, it uses an internal copy.

^^^
cecil's comment is spot on.

A few months back, I grabbed ffmpeg from its repository and built it, along with x264 in order to get proper h264 support. And you can configure Myth *Video* to use it for playback.

But the internal myth player used for Myth *Recordings* requires rebuilding many things that will bring you into dependency hell. Unless you thrive on pain, you may want to just wait it out. I haven't updated my myth box in some time, so maybe this is already in there(?) The build I have will play h264, sort of, but only at the Baseline profile. Anything above that causes playback errors.