View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:54 am 
I have a business idea and need a MythTV developer/builder. My idea is targeted toward Sports bar & grills. I would like sell a system that replaces regular tv commercials with custom commercials. For example instead of seeing the regular commercials during a game they would be replaced by Bar specific specials such as current drink specials, lunch menu, appetizer specials, or other current promotions. Ideally I would like the ability to have the client login to a website and update the promotions by uploading images, videos, or animations. Since MythTV has commercial detection is it possible to modify the code to replace instead of skip commercials? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:58 pm 
IANAL, but I'm pretty sure that would be illegal. :?

And I don't think comm flagging happens quick enough, it doesn't know that a commercial has started when it starts, all it knows is there was a scene change. It isn't until several factors are taken into account that it knows that there are commercials. One such being several 30 second scenes repeating.

KM: R5.5
CPU: Athlon 3800+
Vid: nvidia 7300GT
Snd: Chaintech av-710
Tuner: PVR150
HD: 1000gb sata + 750gb sata + 500gb usb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:07 pm 
I can't imagine it being illegal to not watch a commercial. That would be like saying it is illegal to change the channel when a commercial comes on tv. I'm not sure how the commercial detection works that is why I would like a developer involved. I understand there would have to be a delay from live tv but that would be acceptable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:33 pm 
dezign89 wrote:
I can't imagine it being illegal to not watch a commercial. That would be like saying it is illegal to change the channel when a commercial comes on tv. I'm not sure how the commercial detection works that is why I would like a developer involved. I understand there would have to be a delay from live tv but that would be acceptable.
Doing it at home is one thing but doing it in a public bar is likely to attract trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:39 pm 
dezign89 wrote:
I understand there would have to be a delay from live tv but that would be acceptable.

I doubt that you could get the delay into the realm of "acceptable". You're talking about sports bars here. Suppose you could get the delay down to 90 seconds (unlikely). Suppose your bar patrons are watching the superbowl. Someone says he bets $50 that the Cardinals score on the next play. I tell him he's full of crap, and I bet $5000 that Harrison picks off Warner's pass and runs the other way for a STEELERs TD. 100:1 odds - anybody want some?
Sure, if they find my FM radio I'm dead. And then they'll come after you....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:42 pm 
dezign89 wrote:
I can't imagine it being illegal to not watch a commercial.

google +nfl +copyright +policy
Before you stink too much time/money into this venture...
You need to talk to a lawyer before you need to worry about developers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:21 pm 
dezign89 wrote:

It's not illegal to not watch a commercial.

But by taking their content, and replacing your ads?

It's plagiarism, theft, etc ... call it what you will, I just can't see it being legal in any way.

KM: R5.5
CPU: Athlon 3800+
Vid: nvidia 7300GT
Snd: Chaintech av-710
Tuner: PVR150
HD: 1000gb sata + 750gb sata + 500gb usb