View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: svn vs. trunk ?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:36 pm 
I'm thinking of having a test machine where I can load/compile some of the Mythtv developments (like HD-PVR) and play with them a little before the final release of 0.22.

I've been reading what I can find on svn and trunk. What is the difference?

My sense is that svn is a weekly compiled snapshot in time (with a specific version number) which is about as stable as you can get without waiting for the full release and that trunk is a daily-updated untrackable blob of code that is VERY bleeding edge and not very stable.

If I am right, I would want to play in the svn wading pool rather than in the trunk whitewater rapids.

Advice appreciated,
Eric

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:37 pm 
I'm no expert by any means but I believe that svn (subversion) is the delivery and tracking mechanizm, whereas trunk is a branch of the code your downloading. /branches/release-0-21-fixes/ gives you the latest of version .21 but since .22 has not been released yet you would be required to take from /trunk/. The numbers are revisions based on code changes and patches submitted. Haven't been brave enough to try trunk yet myself but have had fun patching 21-fixes for vdpau support.

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ has some information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:35 am 
Technically, SVN is a tool, just like goofee says.

Practically, when people say SVN, they mean the dynamically changing latest source. i.e. trunk.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:43 pm 
Ahh, I see. The branch that you get via SVN is the important factor.

So, if I were to subscribe to the .21 fixes branch via SVN, would the HD-PVR drivers and needed updates for the HD-PVR be in there?

I suspect I would NOT want to subscirbe my "production" Knoppmyth box (the box serving tv to us in our den) to any Mythtv branch via SVN, as parts of Mythtv would get broken, correct?

Eric

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:00 pm 
neutron68 wrote:
So, if I were to subscribe to the .21 fixes branch via SVN, would the HD-PVR drivers and needed updates for the HD-PVR be in there?

No. It's only in .22 (aka trunk)

neutron68 wrote:
I suspect I would NOT want to subscirbe my "production" Knoppmyth box (the box serving tv to us in our den) to any Mythtv branch via SVN, as parts of Mythtv would get broken, correct?
If you know what you're doing, you can run trunk in a production situation. Keep in mind that things may be broken or incomplete, not to mention there will be a schema upgrade to you DB if you run trunk. All your mythboxen will need to run trunk/.22. If you take 0.21-fixes from SVN you likely will not have a problem if all your mythboxen are running some version of 0.21. However, I take no responsibility! :)

Post subject: what's in .21 fixes?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:50 pm 
So, what kinds of things are in the 0.21 fixes branch? Just fixes or does some new stuff find it's way into the fixes branch, too? Is it worth messing with?

Eric

Post subject: Re: what's in .21 fixes?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:20 pm 
neutron68 wrote:
So, what kinds of things are in the 0.21 fixes branch? Just fixes or does some new stuff find it's way into the fixes branch, too?

Mostly bug fixes and enhancements.

neutron68 wrote:
Is it worth messing with?

Look at the commits and decide for yourself.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:41 am 
In R5.5, I'm looking at the Versions information in the Mythtv GUI (Knoppmyth menu item, then Version).

It says:

Mythtv version : 17686M,
Mythtv Branch : branches/release-0-21-fixes,
Library API : 0.21.20080304-1.
Network Protocol : 40

Do any of the numbers on that screen tell which slice in time (or SVN rev number) the code set included in R5.5 was taken from?

I'm looking at the .21 fixes branch screen http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/log/branches/release-0-21-fixes/ and trying to match up the R5.5 Versions info with one of those folders.
The closest match I see is a version 17684 (around July 1, 2008) - but no 17686M.

I'm just trying to figure out what .21-fixes we already have in R5.5 and which ones would get added.

Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:35 am 
I'm not sure why they tack the M on there, but the 17686 is indeed the svn revision number you are running. Go to:

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser

Look under branches and then release-0-21-fixes. That's where the latest fixes resides.

HD-PVR support is only available in trunk. If you want to experiment, I suggest you start with the R6 release and go from there. That's the future.

http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19656