View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Re: Drop Comcast
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:31 pm 
myth19kirt wrote:
Problem is 2 kids require Disney and Nick.

When I was growing up, mom took us to the library every week. I learned to read before I was in first grade. Maybe the old ways aren't so bad?

Post subject: Re: Drop Comcast
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:15 pm 
Liv2Cod wrote:
myth19kirt wrote:
Problem is 2 kids require Disney and Nick.

When I was growing up, mom took us to the library every week. I learned to read before I was in first grade. Maybe the old ways aren't so bad?

And you walked to school uphill, everyday, in both directions...

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:00 pm 
:P

In the deep New Mexico SNOW!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:40 pm 
Liv2Cod wrote:
:P

In the deep New Mexico SNOW!

In your bare feet! :-)

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:47 am 
marc.aronson wrote:
mark60050 wrote:
Well. It happened. On 3/19/10, I lost all my non over-the-air channels over my hdhomerun. Too bad, it had worked so well....

Sorry to hear that. All the standard def channels digital channels are still "in the clear" here in the bay area, but I don't expect it to stay that way forever.

...and they are gone...

The expanded basic channels in Cupertino are now protected. The only channels I can record via my clear QAM tuners are the the OTA's plus a few. Essentially 2-33, 702-712 plus a few OTA's that are mapped to channels 180+. I'll be calling Comcast later this week to reduce my service levels...

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:41 am 
Ya know, it's really funny that CATV companies (mostly comcast here) waited about 25years (maybe more) to finally close off the unencrypted channels that used to be expanded basic.

They've had the ability to do so for decades.

(I worked in cable TV back in the mid-80's, so I remember all the whining).

I'm really curious as to why *now*?

Are they hoping people addicted to 20yrs of history channel are now going to triple (or more) their cable bill just to watch Mythbusters?

Hmm.. Maybe... but I'm guessing it won't exactly be all the ComCast hopes for.

I suppose for every 1 customer that switches up to expanded basic they could lost 2-3 customers that cancel basic. So who knows.

I wonder how many comcast employees lurk in these shadows chuckling as people cancel their cable service as it's pretty much gone to "cable fed OTA"

(shrug)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:46 pm 
It is now happening in the Twin Cities -- Go the scrolling banner telling me I have to call Comcast for digital equipment. . . .

Time to regulate my Myth box to OTA with the HDhomerun. Goodbye pvr-150/500 I will miss you. . . .

Any one have any good suggestions to start streaming content? What are you doing for sports? Can I integrate with my myth FE/BE?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:12 pm 
I wouldn't pitch that card just yet.. might come in handy for something..

But someone on the MythTV-Users list recently posted an article about how many customers comcast has lost in the last few quarters...

It's pretty funny. And I bet they have no idea why.

They're that arrogant.

-Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:12 am 
In Atlanta, the data for analog cutoff was given as April 4. But as of May 12 the analog channels are still active here. But for how long?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:07 am 
At the office we recently switched our phone/internet to Comcast and as part of their package they supplied digital TV. The interesting thing is they do not supply a box with the package. We have the cable connected to a HDTV (for business purposes only of course) and can receive over 100 unencrypted digital channels.

I guess at some point they could encrypt everything and give us one of their cheap adapter boxes but for now they are committed to suppling unencrypted digital. One big downside is the lack of a channel lineup (paper or EPG). Finding what frequencies is what channel is a very manual operation and subject to change at their whim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:36 am 
Big boy stan wrote:
At the office we recently switched our phone/internet to Comcast and as part of their package they supplied digital TV. The interesting thing is they do not supply a box with the package. We have the cable connected to a HDTV (for business purposes only of course) and can receive over 100 unencrypted digital channels.

I guess at some point they could encrypt everything and give us one of their cheap adapter boxes but for now they are committed to suppling unencrypted digital. One big downside is the lack of a channel lineup (paper or EPG). Finding what frequencies is what channel is a very manual operation and subject to change at their whim.

I suspect they are not committing to supplying the channels unencrypted. They will encrypt most of them at some point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:02 am 
Big boy stan wrote:

That is interesting.

Quote:

ComCast, It's craptastic.

BTW, you can use a program called scte65scan to look through the channel lists and then you'll at least have the list without having to poke manually.

(edit: Just use the text output option for human readable lists)

-Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:29 am 
I've documented my strategy for recording from Comcast here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:46 am 
Well, I guess that problem of recording the show "24" over firewire is now resolved permanently and to everybody's satisfaction...

(OK, not everybody's satisfaction. I thought the ending was kind of weak. Pretty much like any other season closer.)

;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:52 am 
Liv2Cod wrote:
Well, I guess that problem of recording the show "24" over firewire is now resolved permanently and to everybody's satisfaction...

(OK, not everybody's satisfaction. I thought the ending was kind of weak. Pretty much like any other season closer.)

;-)

I thought it was an OK ending. Not sure what I think of the ending to "Lost" yet :-).

You up for brunch this Sunday?

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next