View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:49 am 
I have a Knoppmyth backend and and Mac Mini running an OS X front end. I have had this setup for years, and have been on the 0.20 version for about a year. Everything has been running smoothly for so long that I don't even remember which backend version I have (not that the backend is the problem)

Within the past week my fronend has been acting strange. It has been freezing during both video and live TV playback. Most times going back to the main menu after a minute or so. I have a MacBook with the same front end loaded and it seems to work fine, hence I think its the Mac Mini front end causing the problem. I have tried the various OS X disk clean up tools to no avail. I even "reinstalled" the application, but that did not work either. I think one of the files used by the front end is having a problem so I want to remove everything and reinstall from scratch (so that it asks me where my backend server and such).

I have googled and searched but could not find where the OS X version keeps all its files. Can someone either give me the list or point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:02 pm 
I'm not sure that there aren't some library files somewhere else, but I've had to reinstall mythfrontend for Mac in the past, and I've found that two steps are necessary:

1. Delete the application Mythfrontend.app from your Applications folder.

2. Delete the .mythtv (hidden) directory from your home folder.

The second is necessary, because that's where connection information is kept. When you reinstall, it will be recreated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:27 am 
1) You can look at (some of) the frontend's errors by opening Utilities -> Console.app

2) If there isn't anything obvious in there, try running it with some extra verbosity. Open Terminal.app, cd to the location of MythFrontend.app, and run it like this:

Code:
MythFrontend.app/Contents/MacOS/mythfrontend -v playback

3) It sounds like a network fault to me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:44 am 
Thanks I will try both this weekend when I am back home and have the time to play with it. As for the network fault, both the Mac Mini and the Linux Backend are connected to the same hub/router (hard wired not wireless). I had even tried restarting the hub with no success. To me it seems like a cache thing since it all works great for a period of time (like 10 minutes of watching) and then freezes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:09 am 
You can also try swapping the patch cables from the MacBook and the Mini. Believe it or not, Cables CAN go bad, although I think the MacBook's patch cable would move around more and be more susceptible to wear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:43 am 
If anyone cares, the solution below is what worked

langelgjm wrote:
Delete the .mythtv (hidden) directory from your home folder.