View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:37 pm 
I've just built a new R6 BE and the install was hassle-free and loads of stuff that has always given me problems now works brilliantly. However...

The frontend on my Mac Mini gives always gives jerky playback for live TV and recordings on some channels, whereas it was fine before. Other channels are fine.

More info:
- BBC channels are fine; Channel 4 and a few others are jerky
- This same Mac Mini FE was fine with my R5.5 backend (it's a 1.66GHz Core Duo running 10.5)
- I'm using libmpeg2 and quartz-blit for playback (but have tried all other combinations)
- The FE on my MacBook is fine on all channels (2.1GHz Core2 Duo on 10.5)
- The FE on the R6 BE is fine and this is a 1.3GHz Athalon
- Not sure this is relevant but the channels that are jerky have a Freeview popup that comes up and then disappears (even on the recordings) that says I need to re-tune. This in the data stream and not burnt into video as it comes up and disappears at different times when a recording is played back.

Given the Mac Mini was fine with R5.5 I'm not sure why it's now giving problems with R6. The MacBook, with a faster processor, would point to it maybe being underpowered, but the 1.3GHz Athalon machine is fine. I realise that different DVB channels have different bit rates but I think BBC is amongst the highest so if it plays these channels OK then it can't be that.

I'm tantalisingly close to having a perfect setup. Any tips on what I should tweak or tune to get it playing smoothly?

Thanks S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:47 pm 
I've had some success in solving this issue.

I realised that my old set up was running a Dell 24" monitor at 1920x1200 and the new set up was running on a TV (via DVI to HDMI) at 1920x1080. It seems this change of resolution was enough to make the mac mini run out of steam. Changing the mac to a lower resolution (say 1600x900) gave smooth play back.

However, the issue seems to have fixed itself and it now runs smoothly at 1920x1080. The only thing I can think that may have helped is upgrading to a newer version of Perian. I realise this isn't that helpful as I don't have a definitive solution.