View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:38 pm 
Wondering how much work this would be with R6. A few links for reference. This would open up VOD and netflix streaming. I'm wondering about the needed uPnP support, if it's already built-in with R6?

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/m ... ers/346387

http://www.playon.tv/playon

TIA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:34 pm 
Site Admin
Currently, there is no UPnP client.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:04 am 
I have tried PlayOn but did not end up buying it. You need a Windows box (or VM) with a hefty CPU to run it. I used XBMC as the client. In general, I found Hulu desktop to be better since I did not need Netflix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:05 pm 
@cecil, while mythtv does not have a UPnP client, R6 does... XBMC works fine for a UPnP client streaming PlayOn media.

@nharris yeah, it takes a winbox to run. But I actually was able to stream CBS media with a Mobile P4 2.8 in an old Dell 1150. Granted, it's right on the low end of working, right on the edge. I'm going to upgrade to 1G of ram and then see if it will meet my needs. Else, I might just turn this old laptop into a MBE.

While the HuluDesktop does work just fine, I'm looking for a NetFlix solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:35 am 
Too Many Secrets wrote:

I know you are probably looking for an integrated solution, but a Ruku HD player for $99 will solve your Netflix needs. I hear that they have a better quality stream too (all the closed hardware solutions do), however I have never seen this first hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:06 pm 
nharris wrote:
Too Many Secrets wrote:

I know you are probably looking for an integrated solution, but a Ruku HD player for $99 will solve your Netflix needs. I hear that they have a better quality stream too (all the closed hardware solutions do), however I have never seen this first hand.

The Ruku would work for a single TV, I'm sure it's the easiest/best solution. However, it would be nice to have an integrated solution for both my FE's. PlayOn also can stream CBS content (been watching Twin Peaks and Twilight Zone for days). PlayOn also seems to have a community who create plugins for additional content (Food, MTV, NFL, Cartoon, SyFy). When coupled with huludesktop and mythtv abilities, just about any feed can be had, without cable charges.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:11 pm 
Too Many Secrets wrote:
When coupled with huludesktop and mythtv abilities, just about any feed can be had, without cable charges.

Are you currently totally without TV charges (cable/DirecTV/etc...)? I would like to go antenna only, but the wife and kids keep me paying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:32 pm 
nharris wrote:
Too Many Secrets wrote:
When coupled with huludesktop and mythtv abilities, just about any feed can be had, without cable charges.

Are you currently totally without TV charges (cable/DirecTV/etc...)? I would like to go antenna only, but the wife and kids keep me paying.

Not yet without cable, only for sports and a couple food stations. But I'm close... It's my goal, but I need my Dodgers/Lakers home games live.