View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:27 pm 
Anybody got an explanation for this ?... I have three different Mythboxes running more or less normally (primary, backup & experimental) recording a daily soap for my wife. Monday, it recorded on none of them. Tuesday they all recorded it again.

When I say didn't record, I mean no file, nothing in recorded programs, no 'B' file that would indicate it tried and failed (weak signal usually) to make a recording.

The setup on all of them is for daily, and green lines displayed around the program, indicating it's scheduled to record

Anybody seen this or have an explanation ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:20 am 
Not sure where you are getting your listings, but I have seen a last minute listings change causing a program to not record without leaving any evidence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:50 am 
alien wrote:
Not sure where you are getting your listings, but I have seen a last minute listings change causing a program to not record without leaving any evidence.
Standard listings from Schedules Direct... going back to the day in question (still there) the program has a dotted line around it like it was scheduled and recorded. If the network changes the program, it should still record under the listed name, just wrong content.

This one has me stumped, particularly happening on three independent machines (with different kinds of tuners..) on one day, and back to working normally the next ??? The not leaving any evidence is driving me up a wall trying to figure it out.... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:11 am 
One possibility. This can happen if the option is set to keep only one episode and delete oldest is not set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:08 am 
snaproll wrote:
Standard listings from Schedules Direct... going back to the day in question (still there) the program has a dotted line around it like it was scheduled and recorded.

What's your duplicate recording policy? Was Monday a rerun? If so perhaps it was recorded earlier. Even if the recording is long-since deleted MythTV won't record it again unless it's told to. Easiest way is to change the recording rule to not check for duplicates.

Beyond that, if Myth thinks it's recorded then try looking in the database to see exactly what it thinks. (There should be pages on both the KM and MythTV wikis if you need help with this.) Search the 'record' and 'oldrecord' tables for the program in question, by title (and subtitle if there is one). That would at least tell you when the '"phantom" recording was made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:09 pm 
paulsid wrote:
snaproll wrote:
Standard listings from Schedules Direct... going back to the day in question (still there) the program has a dotted line around it like it was scheduled and recorded.

What's your duplicate recording policy? Was Monday a rerun?

My thoughts exactly. Your mythbox may be doing the right thing here :-)

The schedule changes problem has bitten me too. Also on OTA, occasionally the networks broadcast schedules update listings with slightly different titles or sub-titles, which screws with recordings.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:32 pm 
Thanks gents ! To address in order:
Quote:
One possibility. This can happen if the option is set to keep only one episode and delete oldest is not set.

The drive is big and holds many older than the mystery program, probably not an auto expire problem.

Quote:
What's your duplicate recording policy? Was Monday a rerun? If so perhaps it was recorded earlier. Even if the recording is long-since deleted MythTV won't record it again unless it's told to. Easiest way is to change the recording rule to not check for duplicates.

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. Your mythbox may be doing the right thing here

I think the seeds of the answer are here... I have it bounce duplicate recordings. But the one that didn't happen was first air date on that day.... So probably first air date isn't used to determine anything... In Mythweb recorded programs, there is a 'program ID number like EP000002061815, which I assume, the network assigns to discriminate between a bunch of programs with the same title, and Mythtv uses that to determine if a program is a repeat. So if the network screwed up that number, and told all the mythboxes that it was a repeat, even if it wasn't, they wouldn't record it... exactly like my symptoms. Whaddaya think ?...
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:16 pm 
snaproll wrote:
In Mythweb recorded programs, there is a 'program ID number like EP000002061815, which I assume, the network assigns to discriminate between a bunch of programs with the same title, and Mythtv uses that to determine if a program is a repeat. So if the network screwed up that number, and told all the mythboxes that it was a repeat, even if it wasn't, they wouldn't record it... exactly like my symptoms. Whaddaya think ?...
:lol:

The scheduler normally matches title and subtitle to detect duplicates, not episode numbers (unless they are the subtitle). Have a look in your duplicates options and you'll see exactly what it does.

Mike