View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:21 pm 
I have a windows based server that hold all my family videos, TV shows, and movies (all legal). I am able to mount the folder on my frontend, but am unable to get Mythvideo to find all the videos when doing a scan.

I have all the folders auto-mounting via the fstab (/etc/fstab). Navigating to the mounted folders yields all the videos (playable), so I know that things are mounting correctly.

I have tried two methods; Storage Groups, and changing the default Video folder under the video settings to point at the mounted folders. But nothing seems to allow Mythvideo to find all the files when scanning.

Any suggestions as to where I am going wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:39 pm 
A little bit of progress.

I can successfully mount share drives via fstab (/etc/fstab)
Code:
//192.168.1.XX/ServerVideos/MOVIES   /myth/video   cifs   noatime,username=[un],password=[pw],workgroup=[wg] 0 0
(removed some things for security)

Checking the /myth/video folder displays the shared directory contents. All videos are displayed.

I have verified that the video storage group is correctly pointed at the /myth/video directory, as with the banner, coverart, fanart, etc.. folders are pointed at /myth/video_stuff.

Head over to Media Library>Watch Videos and do a scan (menu>scan for changes) displays... nothing. "No files found". Bummer.

Looking at the log files for mythbackend and mythfrontend (/var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log & mythfrontend.log) notes something different.

mythfrontend.log
Code:
2010-07-12 13:51:52.728 MythVideo::ScanVideoDirectory Scanning Group (myth://Videos@main_htpc/myth/video/)
2010-07-12 13:51:55.985 buildFileList directory = myth://Videos@main_htpc/myth/video/

mythbackend.log
Code:
2010-07-12 13:35:54.715 UPnpMedia: BuildMediaMap VIDEO scan starting in :/myth/video:
2010-07-12 13:35:54.723 UPnpMedia: BuildMediaMap Done. Found 6 objects

But still nothing is displayed in frontend Video section. Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:10 pm 
I am doing the same thing and it works fine. The difference is that I mount the windows drive to my backend (not the front) and simply point the video setup to that mount. Then I use NFS to export the mountpoint for use by all my frontends. The only other suggestion I have is to use the same mountpoint name on both the frontend and backend (I use /mnt/video on all of mine) - then you can scan for new videos from the frontend machine.

Oh, you will see that with myth .23 you don't have to use NFS - you can use storage groups to distribute the videos just like your recorded shows unless you use .iso files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:06 am 
Bit more progress.

I did what you said and mounted the share folder in the /mnt/video location. Did a remount of all directories, tweaked the video directory location, and headed over to the Watch Video section.

My video folder was there, but only "some" of the files were loaded. Of the directory's that I mounted (TV, Movies, and Family folders on server) only part of the TV directory is displayed in the Watch Video section.

This doesn't make sense to me at all. All the folder & files are there in the /mnt/video folder, but Myth is not displaying them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:18 am 
I am unclear about your setup... Are all of your media files in one folder on your windows server? What kind of files are they? I infer from your last post that you are mixing TV and video files together in on place - is that right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:21 am 
I have a windows based "server" (computer with shared folders) in the following layout.
HomeServer
>TV (w/sub-folders per show/season)
>Movies
>Family

In the TV, Movies, and Family folders are video files ranging from .avi to .mkv, with .iso (movie rips). All file "should" be playable in mythtv (worked in .22)

I am doing a single mount point to /mnt/video using the following line in my fstab.
Code:
//192.168.1.XX/ServerVideos   /mnt/video   cifs   noatime,username=[un],password=[pw],workgroup=[wg] 0 0

Navigating to /mnt/video displays the TV, Movies, and Family folders with video files in their respective folders. Back in the Watch Video section only displays the TV folder with about half of the sub-folders and files available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:52 am 
Something sticks in my mind that iso files don't play in storage groups. From the wiki page http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythvideo:

Code:
Disadvantages
External Video Players (mplayer, xine, VLC) will not work with videos hosted on an SG.
ISO/VIDEO_TS/BDMV Playback does not presently work in Storage Groups.

Would the iso files make up what you are missing? Did you take a look at the defined file types? Off the top of my head I cannot tell you where it is but it's in setup where you can associate file extensions with a particular player. You need them to all be associated with the Internal player since that is all that works with Storage Groups. Perhaps one or more of the file extensions that you have (avi, mkv mpg etc) are not defined for some reason or pointing to another player. That could account for other "missing" files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:59 am 
Hmmm... I am not in front of my machine now so this is from memory (fragile at best...). I know that my videos are in different folders on the windows server and they all show up in the respective folders. I think I had to concatenate the folder locations in the video setup (/mnt/video/movies /mnt/video/videos /mnt/video/children). Then I rescanned them and they all showed up. I am travelling but will check my setup tomorrow when I return.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:21 pm 
djb61230, you the man.
djb61230 wrote:
Did you take a look at the defined file types? Off the top of my head I cannot tell you where it is but it's in setup where you can associate file extensions with a particular player.

Who would have thought that .avi files would not have been associated with anything in mythtv. Navigated to:
Code:
Service Menu>Mythtv Configuration>Setup>Media Settings>Video Settings>File Types

Added avi, and set it for Internal Player and now all the videos show up (majority are avi).

As for iso, I will work on that later. Should be able to make mplayer or xine play those like the days of old, at least until the Internal player can handle them. Now to setup the other frontend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:11 pm 
spideyk21 wrote:
As for iso, I will work on that later. Should be able to make mplayer or xine play those like the days of old, at least until the Internal player can handle them. Now to setup the other frontend.
The internal player handles iso and video_ts folders fine in .23 as long as they are not in a storage group.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:50 am 
brfransen wrote:
The internal player handles iso and video_ts folders fine in .23 as long as they are not in a storage group.

Set up everything not using Storage Groups right now. Works like a champ. Thanks for everyone's help.