View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:53 pm 
Hey folks,

A few weeks ago, I decided to give KU FTA a try. While interesting, what I can't live without immediately into trying this is the lack of live TV pausing and of course recording. I very badly need a PVR. I bought a sonicview and found it somewhat usable but not worth the money. I was about to spend a lot more until it dawned on me that it would be silly to do so.

I believe I want MythTV with my FTA setup and even cooler would be if I could get my netflix streaming on this box also. That seems to make more sense than spending on another custom box.

I've been reading for a solid week and have some questions so that I can jump into this with both feet.

First, I've read that there is a netflix plugin coming but I've yet to confirm if it is there now, usable or way off in the future yet.

Second, I've read TONS of information about which capture cards to use and believe in my setup, the best plan would be to use two DVB-S cards, one for my KU dish, another for my C-Band dish going up this week.

Problem is, I need user input to decide on the cards because reading is only confusing me as to what to expect at this point.

What I am hoping to achieve is as follows.

-At least one (or more) composite (better, would be component) inputs

-At least one DVB-S (Better, would be DVB-S2) card which can handle DiSEqC/USALS motor control and fine tuning for KU and C-band

Reading everything I can, it's not clear what hardware would work best. Well, not clear, in the sense of not enough input from end users as to the quality of the hardware, as in nice clear output etc.

Anyhow, hoping for input and again, appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:35 am 
There's no one using DVB-S2 cards in their mythtv to move their motor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:42 am 
You probably want to start here:

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/H ... nformation

Try to find one that works on linux that is available somewhere for purchase. Then start doing google searches with the card name and mythtv to see who is actually using it.

You don't say where you are located. NA has some pretty standard devices that a lot of people use. Europe is somewhat more limited. I wanted PCI, so I was even more limited. The card I have works (including remote), however, it requires the mantis drivers to be installed manually. They don't work well with all kernel versions, so I wouldn't recommend it (yet). The mantis drivers should be included with newer kernels, so hopefully, that will get better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:21 am 
>You probably want to start here:
>http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hardware_Device_Information
>Try to find one that works on linux that is available somewhere for >purchase. Then start doing google searches with the card name and >mythtv to see who is actually using it.

Like I said, have been searching for a week. Have found lots of information and lots of threads with folks talking about what they are using. Problem is, hardware changes so fast and it seems that most cards put out crummy video depending on what mythtv is doing. Trying to work through that so figured I'd post, get some input on cards that people like and buy one, go from there.

>You don't say where you are located.

Didn't think it was important but it's the US, to use standard KU and C-Band FTA along with purchasing W5 programming shortly.

>The mantis drivers should be included with newer kernels, so hopefully,
>that will get better.[/quote]

I figured I'd just go with one of the ISO's to start with so which ever has the best DVB-S2 support I suppose.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:00 am 
What a nightmare so far. I dedicated a 2.8Ghz machine, couple of gig's to start, an nvidia FX5200 I had laying around and a wintv 1600 dual tuner.

So far, no other distro but knoppmyth installs but when it does, no matter what I've tried, I cannot get the s-video output to display a thing.

In fact, even saving the xorg.conf file is a pain as it won't overwrite the old one. I had to make a temp directory with 777 on it to save the file to. Then I drop to CLI, copy, restart X and of course, never get any video.

I've been reading for days, trying various solutions others have tried and have yet to find the one that works for me.

Painful :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:08 pm 
SATire wrote:
no matter what I've tried, I cannot get the s-video output to display a thing.

Sorry to suggest something obvious that you've probably already done, but you do have this option in your xorg.conf?

Code:
Option "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:11 pm 
another stupid suggestion reboot your comp without a monitor attached only the s-video. I have the 5200 and don't remember any severe issues with it.
My other piece of advice is look at MythTV as a hobby I've been toying with it for about 6 years now. I have never been completely happy with the results I get and I am always trying to make MythTV just that little bit better. I tell people about my MythTV with great pride and affection and then tell them it's a hobby not an appliance. If you want an appliance there is Tivo and Windows Media Center (not as tweekable but at least the drivers are on the disc).
IMHO