View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:16 am 
From time to time I find that a recording rule that I've entered is resulting in unexpected shows being recorded.

For example, using MythWeb I scheduled recording of a program entitled "Man, Woman, Wild" at any time on any channel. Following this, the following show titles pop up in the list of Upcoming Recordings: "Man, Woman, Wild" (as expected), "Surviving the Cut", "Man vs Wild", "Beyond Survival with Les Stroud", and "Dual Survival".

These are all somewhat similar programs, but I didn't want these other shows to be recorded. If I select "edit rule" for one of these unwanted shows, it appears that there is a record-all rule for the unwanted show, so in some cases I've deleted that odd rule that I never entered. But upon doing so, the original recording rule for the show that I did want, in this case the rule for "Man, Woman, Wild", is deleted.

Any thoughts on why recording rules might be matching the wrong titles? This has happened to me with several different recording rules. Using LinHES R6.03.00 (MythTV 0-23-fixes 24896)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:22 am 
How are you specifying the program? If you're using a custom rule it should be a straight title match, but if you're picking the program from the schedule it generally uses the show id.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:35 pm 
For the program rule, I simply searched for the program in mythweb's search box, then clicked on the program title from the listings, selected “Record at any time on any channel”, and “Update recording settings”.

Here's an example (hopefully I've included enough fields of significance)

Program rule in the “record” table in the database:
Code:
recordid:  1129
type:  4
chanid:  6629
title:  Man, Woman, Wild
dupmethod:  6
dupin:  15
station:  DSCHD
seriesid:  EP01283831
programid:  EP01238383100010
findid:  734393

Upcoming recording (this one is correct):
Code:
Title:  Man, Woman, Wild
Type:  series (EP01283831)
Program ID:  EP012838310006
Channel:  629 DSCHD
“recordmatch” entry in database:  1129 6629 2010-09-20 01:00:00 0 0 0 0

Unexpected upcoming recording (this one theoretically **should not** match):
Code:
Title:  Dual Survival
Type:  series (EP01253182)
Program ID:  EP012531820007
Channel:  629 DSCHD
“recordmatch” entry in database:  1129  6629  2010-09-20  00:00:00 0 0 0 0

If I re-enter the rule or open up this rule in Recording Rules and re-save it, the bogus program matches appear to go away until the next time MythFillDatabase runs.

Do you know if MythTV searches for matches based on a hash or something that could yield false matches?

Note that this is happening with some other recording rules that don't have commas in the program title (otherwise I might suspect that).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:29 pm 
Since the unexpected title matches seem to be resolved if the backend is restarted after mythfilldatabase, I'm wondering if it would it be safe to create a System Event to restart the backend after each run of mythfilldatabase. Perhaps not a good idea with the frontend running. Any other way to trigger mythbackend to rescan for matching programs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:56 pm 
Code:
 mythbackend --resched

will force the scheduler to update. Might do the trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:44 am 
Creating a System Event handler that runs "mythbackend --resched" after mythfilldatabase seems to have done the trick. Thanks!!

Regarding the cause of the problem, I think it might "possibly" have to do with one custom recording rule I have that's 322 characters long. It's frequently other recording rules that are matching incorrectly so I didn't really suspect this one, but maybe this one rule is blowing a buffer somewhere and causing peculiar scheduler problems.