View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:51 am 
I already don't use a cable box.

I looked at what shows I recorded, and most of them came from the major OTA broadcast networks (FOX,CBS,ABC,NBC,ETC), very few from cable only (ok,SciFi). So Comcast encrypted almost everything and I reduced my cable bill to the $19/month basic cable. Comcast lies, but it has the OTA HD channels, and they work fine with my tv/mythbox/linhes, so no hd-box is necessary (Comcast: "The only way you can get HD-TV is with out HD-cable box"). The missing shows I can get on Hulu.

So, at this point I see no reason for a myth+cablecard system, even if a cablecard can be made with mythtv, 95% of what I watch comes from the major OTA broadcasters, who broadcast their programs for free. Remember when people asked: Who would pay for cable? I am thinking of putting an antenna in the attic, and get rid of Comcast entirely.

I think they are a little late on this.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/10/10/14 ... s?from=rss
"
Reading the PDF, the new rules seem to be:
1.Cable operators need to provide better access to switched digital video services (via improved tuning adapters, via an IP backchannel or via some other option)
2.They must provide greater information to consumers about the cost of a cable card. They must also offer consumers who dont lease a set top box a lower price than those who do lease a set top box. And there is something in there about making any set top box they lease also available for sale.
3.They must improve cable card installation including allowing self-install for any device where the manufacturer has provided installation instructions (i.e. anything where the cable company wont have to provide self-install technical support)
4.They must provide multi-stream cable cards by default unless a consumer specifically asks for a single stream card
5.There are changes to cable card certification designed to ensure cable card certification bodies cant hold up cable card equipment for anything other than valid technical reasons
6.There are some changes in the interface between set top boxes and other devices. The current requirement to provide a firewire port will go away and be replaced with a requirement that is physical-interface-neutral. It will also be expanded to require 2-way communication (such as being able to send the cable box remote control signals)
7.There is something there that says recievers will not be reqired to implement features designed to lock certain outputs on playback of certain content (something the MPAA was asking for to close the "analog hole" and prevent direct copying of certain kinds of PPV movie content)
There are also some other things that I dont understand."[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:56 pm 
this is all great news especially since we now have that new tuner that takes 1 cable card and records up to 4 shows at once of course the downside is that it is $400.00. The other bad thing is that it looks like tru2way has been killed so now to stream from the cable company you still need a box from them.
I too ditched the cable company I can get everything but my Speed shows and BBC shows. Of course streaming is getting kinda rough on my 7 year old system I am going to be upgrading sooner than I can afford I'm afraid.
It was amusing to hear that Hulu ABC NBC some other streaming sites are blocking Google TV. Since Hulu gives us a Linux Desktop client.