View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: DVD Play
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:28 am 
I recently got my LinHES up and running and had my first recording this AM.

I tried to play a DVD and it bombed out. I am assuming it is less likely to be software than the drive. Are people having issues with that or should I start looking for a new drive?

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:52 am 
Having said 'it bombed out' isn't much to go on.

Did it kick you out of the system, or put you back to the main menu?

If the latter, you probably haven't enabled 'pineapple' which is code for the bit of software that allows you to play copy protected DVDs.

You'll have to search for the relevent submenu as I'm afraid I don't recall the location at the present.

HTH

Post subject: Re: DVD Play
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:42 pm 
averagejoe wrote:
I recently got my LinHES up and running and had my first recording this AM.

I tried to play a DVD and it bombed out. I am assuming it is less likely to be software than the drive. Are people having issues with that or should I start looking for a new drive?

Joe

Yes, what tophee said. I'd be about 90% sure you're trying to play a commercial DVD without pineapple, which is not possible.
The reason for this (and I admit it's a bit of a rant) follows.
The publishers of commercial DVDs do not want you to be able to 'own' it. With 'that other OS' and DVD player devices, you are forced to watch sometimes vast numbers of commercials before you get to your movie. This is the main reason they are encrypted and not, as many people think, to protected the disc from being raped and murdered on the high seas.
The tasty fruit therefore allows you to watch your own media and, as a bonus, will also allow you to skip said commercials, which is why it is illegal in countries that were corrupted by wealthy companies (making it illegal to bypass encryption, regardless of how easy it is to do). They made it illegal because the DVD encryption algorithm, being the most uncrackable algorithm they could come up with, could be cracked very easily (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeCSS).

If you are in one of those countries affected by this corruption, you are not breaking the law by downloading the software. But dare to watch your own DVD with it, you are.

Mike

Post subject: DVD Play
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:04 pm 
Thanks for the advice. I did a pacman for what you call pineapple and it seems to work now.

There is a item for "lib----" in the settings, will that set turn it on automatically?

Post subject: Re: DVD Play
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:25 pm 
averagejoe wrote:
There is a item for "lib----" in the settings, will that set turn it on automatically?

It will download and install it and then it will be automatically available.

Mike