View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: half-height video card
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:28 pm 
Can someone recommend a half height pci or pci-e (real small board connector) video card for linhes? I have some hardware I want to experiment on and it has intel onboard video which I have previously learned isn't supported by myth.

Thanks, -Abs

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:39 pm 
Hi Abby,
I can't recommend a card per se but if you look for a video card based on the nvidia chipset of 8400 or later, it should meet most of your needs.

You'll probably have more luck with PCI-E variants which would be 9xxx or later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:08 pm 
i can tell you that my new gt 430 runs really hot i had to add a fan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:11 pm 
mattbatt wrote:

It's a good point and if you can, I would look for a passively cooled card. All of mine are. I have an 8400 and two 9300's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:18 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:33 pm 
mattbatt wrote:

right. Now I see what you meant. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:36 am 
I have the Sparkle 8400 that is half hight and passively cooled. Been working fine for me with VDPAU hardware decoding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:50 am 
mattbatt wrote:

I've had the opposite experience after replacing the card in my workstation box with a Zotac GeForce GT 430 "zone edition" (fanless). I've never seen the card report more than the mid 30s (C) and it's typically in the 28-31C range even right after playing HD video back at 1080p resolution. Granted that the WS box is quite well ventilated, but the case fans are just loafing along at min speed. Given any reasonable amount of airflow that monster heat sink is keeping things within 15-20C above ambient.

Of course that is very much not a half height card, but if it can be passively cooled that easily without heat pipes or other fancy gimmicks it's not dissipating that much power to begin with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:04 pm 
First of all I would like to apologize for the double post above.
Second I finished my newish system and was watching CSI everything locked up when I opened my Aspire e360 case the video card and hard drives were cooking. I nearly burnt my finger on the video card. Granted this is a particuarly terrible case design with little to no air flow at the bottom and no way to mount a near the hard drives. I ended up zip tying a fan to the giant grill on the side of the case and taking apart the power supply to flip the fan. I couldn't imagine this card in a tiny case without adding some slot cooling. I should add that mine is this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814121397

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:10 pm 
I went with a passive heat sink ZOTAC 8400 GS for $59 tho amazon says it's $99 now ?!

ZOTAC nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512 MB DDR2 VGA/DVI/HDMI Low-Profile PCI-Express Video Card ZT-84MEH4M-HSL

I also went to the zotac website and spoke with a tech rep for ten minutes. He pointed out a few other options including the same low profile, 512 meg model with a cooling fan. It was $45! This model tho did not have an onboard HDMI, just the DVI.

http://www.amazon.com/Zotac-ZT-84MEH3P- ... 328&sr=1-8

In two weeks worth of use I see 70 celsius typical and 81 celsius after a night of viewing pleasure. The tech rep said those were perfectly normal ranges.

fyi, Abs

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:49 am 
abigailsweetashoney wrote:
This model tho did not have an onboard HDMI, just the DVI.

Thanks for feeding that back. I have the Sparkle version of that card but without the HDMI as well.

Note you can always get a DVI to HDMI adapter as they are quite inexpensive. I don't think the 8400 based boards will merge the digital audio onto the HDMI anyway so it shouldn't make a difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:41 am 
The card I bought with the passive heat sink has vga, hdmi, and dvi. I happen to have a few dvi to hdmi cables so I am actually using the dvi tho I have no idea if I'm losing any clarity from it.

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:50 am 
abigailsweetashoney wrote:
I am actually using the dvi tho I have no idea if I'm losing any clarity from it.

Shouldn't be, the video signals are supposed to be "electrically compatible", which means that like all the different flavors of USB 2.0 plugs, there isn't anything fancy going on in the cables, just wiring the dissimilar connectors together. I think the biggest difference is that HDMI also carries audio data.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:53 pm 
FWIW - The ASUS EN210 Silent card in my new box is half height capable and works well. It's PCIe 16x but you didn't specify if you needed 16x or 1x... Be warned however that the heat sink is a serious space hog.