View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:30 pm 
Have setup a Dell Zino 400 HD with the latest LinHES ISO, included updated. Using it with a Win TV Nova - T USB tuner stick. I /think/ the Zino has problems with the HDMI and VGA driver as it (and sound is very jerky). Apart from that seems to work OK. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:37 pm 
amtrakuk wrote:
Have setup a Dell Zino 400 HD with the latest LinHES ISO, included updated. Using it with a Win TV Nova - T USB tuner stick. I /think/ the Zino has problems with the HDMI and VGA driver as it (and sound is very jerky). Apart from that seems to work OK. Any ideas?

Sorry meant to ad, the recording itself seems fine as I can stream off the box over the network and its fine. So to me seems to be pointing to the Vdeo output

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:31 am 
Just had a look at the Spec of the graphics card integrated into the Zino 400; ATI Mobility Radeon HD4330 512Mb Video Memory. Should that be OK for HDMI video/audio? Trying the box on the TV for some reason the graphics is not filling the screen, perhaps the top left 3rd - Any ideas please? the graphics issue is the only thing that's holding me back from using it

On current LinHES box (3.2 GHz Celeron D) I have got a NVIDIA GForce 210 with 1 Gig graphics memory and that works fine.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:56 am 
The Linux ATI driver has historically been very poor and the last time (about 5 years ago) I tried to get it to work without some kind of issues was nothing but frustration. LinHES doesn't automatically install the ATI driver so you are probably using the VESA driver. But the ATI driver is in the LinHES repos you just have to install it manually.
Code:
sudo pacman -S xf86-video-ati

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:48 pm 
Your a star... I'll give it a go later. I did reset the BIOS to defaults and it seems to be smoothish out the box with a few stutters... Just running an update after reimaging the machine

(Its in dry dock until its running smooth)

I'll try your advise

Thanks again

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:04 pm 
brfransen wrote:
The Linux ATI driver has historically been very poor and the last time (about 5 years ago) I tried to get it to work without some kind of issues was nothing but frustration. LinHES doesn't automatically install the ATI driver so you are probably using the VESA driver. But the ATI driver is in the LinHES repos you just have to install it manually.
Code:

I've run the install for the driver

Code:

and rebooted

I cant see any improvement really. In the options it is still giving a maximum resolution of 1024 x 768. I'm not sure of thats because it sensed the CRT monitor maximum res is. Am I right in thinking the correct driver will be used when the hardware is probed during startup?

The little bunny and bird in the tree sample video plays smooth with no stuttering

On live TV it seems to be stuttering every 3 seconds for a frame

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:12 pm 
If you are referring to the LinHES Settings Display resolution settings those are probably not going to be correct for ATI and what is available.

Check the /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see what driver was loaded. Then you may have tweak the xorg config. The Arch wiki may help: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:27 am 
Thanks for the link. Installed

Code:
sudo pacman -S mesa-vdpau
sudo pacman -S mesa-libgl

As well as setting the video to Open GL standard and all seems great, possibly hardware acceleration wasn't enabled until it was installed.;)

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:37 pm 
Hmmm rebooted and all appears back to square one and I couldn't get Sound to work over HDMI although LinHES identified the HDMI card with audio capabilities and the video has major stuttering again. I think I'll stick to my Esprimo P5915 - that went together sweet as pie and literally out the box. I'm guessing Zinos just have difficulty :roll: