View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:18 pm 
Here's my story.... this is the first time I've used linux, hence the name...

Installed it the first time (before I actually had my tuner card) just so I could play around with it. All interfaces worked, though I ran into some weird errors while doing the auto install... but hey, it worked, so who cares.

My tuner card showed up today so I popped it in. The computer picked up the card, and I was assuming that it was working. HOWEVER, I could no longer get into the GUI of linux. So I dumped the install and went to....

INSTALL 2- Ran into huge amounts of errors during the install (after having FDISKed the old linux partitions off the drive) and it just kept saying that something was spawning too fast and that it was going to wait 5 minutes (a linux "time out go sit in the corner"?). So I went back into trustly ole DOS and formatted the drive, then it went through the install without any errors. *shrugs* don't know why.

Got into KnoppMyth and ran through the initial backend configuration... or at least, I should say part of it. I got to the first part where it asks something about the network... and I said "Y", as I had before. It spewed out some standard looking config stuff, then came up with "Bus error" and closed out. I was left staring at the "desktop".

Now, I cannot start anything relating to MythTV. If I boot the machine up cold, or on a restart, it just comes up into KnoppMyth, and I can catch the "bus error" in the text startup in the beginning. If I try to manually run mythtv-setup it just gives "bus error".

Any ideas?

Leadtek K7NCR18D nForce 2 mobo
Athlon 2100+
512mb DDR PC2100 Samsung
WD 80gb 7200RPM ATA100
Some old video card (AGP, but not sure what else it is)
Whatever the latest version of KnoppMyth is (downloaded yesterday)

thanks,

linuxvirgin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:27 pm 
Okay, so I took a, uh "screen shot" of my startup, so that I can show you the exact error. Lets see how this turned out:

-edit to remove screen shot because that problem is fixed-

Ah, well... that's quite nice, isn't it?

BTW, on startup, KnoppMyth picks up my tuner as a "Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video Capture (Rev 11)". The packaging calls it a V-Stream VS-TV878RF, and I purchased it from Newegg.

Last edited by linuxvirgin on Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:53 am 
Played around some more last night. Redownloaded the KnoppMyth image (since I was having other, random errors on install) and burnt it to a CD @ 24x instead of 40x. Reinstalled on the same HD (after clearing out the partitions) and things seemed to go well, except for a bunch of errors that showed through the blue background while it was copying files. I think I got a picture of those errors, but haven't got it off my camera yet.

First boot, said "yes" to DHCP broadcast, everything went well, and HEY! I got into the backend setup! Hooray! Ah, but here's where things took a turn for the worse. Tried to add a new capture device.... wouldn't do it. No matter what settings I chose, when I clicked "finish" it just took me back to a blank list with "add a new device".

So I exited out of the setup, and it attempted to run the frontend. No go. Just keep getting bus errors, and it won't start up. This is starting to get aggrivating! At one point during the night, I did remember seeing something about the SQLserver not being able to bind a socket or something, but I only saw it once and it was a quick flash in a sea of text.

Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:14 pm 
The frontend will not work without a working backend. I'd suggest clearly posting what error have.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:48 am 
I realise that... that's why I posted the screen shot of my error. Bus error... that's all I get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:21 pm 
What specific version of KnoppMyth are you loading? "Whatever the latest is" type of handwaving isn't helpful.

Did you verify the md5sum of the ISO file after you downloaded it?

Have you run whatever hardware diagnostics you've got on the system? Many BIOSes provide a long and short hardware test, make sure to run the long one at least.

Double check your BIOS setup and make sure you haven't done something bad like not providing a big enough memory window for the AGP card. Also disable any hardware that you're not planning on using, like the parallel port...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:19 pm 
Solved the problem by doing the following:

1. Downloaded ISO from a different mirror.
2. Burnt ISO onto different media on a different computer.
3. Used a reasonably new CDROM drive to install.

I think it was probably a mix of problems involving my CD burner which is not working properly, and the CDROM drive in the MythTV box, which was old and slow, and possibly not reading the burnt disks correctly.

have it up and running, have the TV listings downloaded and programmed a few shows already... the only problem now is that I can't get any video through my tuner. When I try to watch TV, I just get a green screen w/ some static at the top. Dumping out of MythTV shows the error "Couldn't get the color key color, and we need it. You likely won't get any video"

What does that mean to me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:52 pm 
Did you ever say what you're using for a capture card? I don't see it above... Aha, there it is... Time to look in your /var/log/messages file to see if the card is recognized and an appropriat driver is loaded for it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:13 pm 
Um, I just tried to get into /var/log/messages in xterm and it says No such file or directory. Remember... this is the first time I've used linux. I don't really know what I'm doing here... I screwed something up in KnoppMyth last night dorking around with it, and had to reinstall this afternoon. So anyway... I've got my listings in there... everything looks good.... just no video. Big green screen with a little static at the top :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:00 pm 
/var/log is a directory (you can cd there) /var/log/messages is a file. To view it use:
Code:
more /var/log/messages
You'll need to become root (as described previously) to do this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:11 pm 
Alright... I checked the logs. So according to that, I see that...

kernel: bttv: driver version 0.9.15 loaded
kernel: bttv: using 8 buffers with 2080k (520 pages) each for capture
kernel: bttv: Bt8xx card found (0).
kernel: bttv0: Bt878 (rev 17) at 000:01:07.0, irq: 19, latency: 32, mmio: 0xd8000000
kernel: bttv0: using: *** UNKNOWN/GENERIC *** [card=0,autodetected]
kernel: tveeprom(bttv internal0: Huh, no eeprom present (err=-121)?
kernel: bttv0: using tuner=-1
kernel: bttv0: i2c: checking for MSP34xx @ 0x80... not found
kernel: bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA9875 @ 0xb0... not found
kernel: bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA7432 @ 0x8a... not found
kernel: bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA9887 @ 0x86... not found
kernel: bttv0: registered device video0
kernel: bttv0: registered device vbi0
pci.agent[3256]: bttv: loaded successfully
pci.agent[3372]: bt878: blacklisted
pci.rc[2879]: ignoring pci display device on 03:00.0

This was all off the end of the log, assuming that this is what you're looking for. From what I've read there (and I might understand?), it's ignoring my capture card because it's blacklisted... well what friggin good does that do me?!!?. I purchased this card because I saw in the mythtv hardware database that someone had used it, and also because a saw a few reviews on newegg where people had used it with mythtv...

So what am I doing wrong? It looks as though it's loading the drivers okay, but something else is keeping it from running?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:16 pm 
ok I admit I'm half lit right now, but I still don't see where you told us what tvcapture card you are using.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:19 pm 
It's easy to miss: it's a couple lines of text just under the large screen shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:27 pm 
yep, as above it is- BTW, on startup, KnoppMyth picks up my tuner as a "Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video Capture (Rev 11)". The packaging calls it a V-Stream VS-TV878RF, and I purchased it from Newegg.

here's a link to it on newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6815100103