View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:56 am 
Hello world

I new in MtyhTv area, so forgive me maybe silly questions...

Few days ago I have possibility to use Panasonic's DIGA player (DVD/SVCD/DIVIX/PVR/MusicJugeBOX/Pistures). What was nice for me in DIGA (and missing in MythTV):

When You put media into player, DIGA shows You nice dialog with options dependent on media contents:

-DVD/VCD/DIVX: play this
-MP3 & JPGs: import to HDD

For import function You have very simple file manager (browse tree, make dir, copy files).

Is this kind of functionality available in MythTV ?
If not - is there any chance to have such in the future?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:02 am 
Myth is OPEN SOURCE. If there's a feature you'd like to see, you can actually dig into the code and add it yourself!

I suspect Myth is considerably more open-ended than the Panasonic product you're comparing it to. (I have not heard of the DIGI where I live, in the S.F. Bay Area). Myth integrates the recording of TV program (even high-definition programs) with music, video, games, weather, RSS news, etc.

Yes, some of the edges are still rough, but it is the most complete offering I've seen. And, by the way, it's OPEN SOURCE! Which means it will be enhanced and upgraded as long as there are talented and clever people in the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:10 pm 
MythTV does has a similar function but in a more basic sense, in one of the settings, I can't remember exactly where, you can tell the system to monitor the CD/DVD drive and when you insert a disc it will do something.

How this feature works I can't remember exactly as I have only used it once and it was a little while ago. You can find it in the setting there, give it a go it may do what you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:36 am 
Girkers wrote:
MythTV does has a similar function but in a more basic sense, in one of the settings, I can't remember exactly where, you can tell the system to monitor the CD/DVD drive and when you insert a disc it will do something.

The drive monitor option is under [Main Menu --> Utilities/Setup --> Setup --> General --> Page 5 --> Monitor CD/DVD]

MythTV is kind of scattered, even with this enabled. I wanted to share my experience on this as someone who is new to Myth yet is experienced with computers and has had two DVRs for years. I haven't yet played with putting a DVD into the drive (DVD burner on order), but I have played around with CDs. I've tried audio CDs, SVCDs, picture CDs, regular Windows computer game CDs. [Yes, I know that Windows CDs won't work. I'm acting like a user, okay? :)]

ITEM: User inserts an audio cd.

User is automatically taken to the Music Tools menu [main menu -> Utilities/Setup -> Music Tools]. To actually just play the CD at that point is a crazy dance through options under "Select Music" [EDIT: and then go through a tree of suboptions, ultimately selecting the inidividual track numbers to play] then back to "Play Music". That makes NO sense at all. But from there, they can also import the CD.

ITEM: User inserts a Windows game cdrom. (Or any other readable data cdrom that doesn't contain useful media.)

The cdrom is locked into the tray. You're not getting you cdrom tray back open within the Myth interface. There is no 'eject' feature.

ITEM: User inserts (s)VCD.

They are taken to a video menu (name unknown) where they can Play DVD, Play VCD, or Rip DVD. No option to rip VCD or save to the hard drive.

ITEM: User inserts a picture CD (jpegs)

They are not automatically taken anywhere. A user must manually go into [Media Library -> Image Gallery] and run the import setting. As mentioned, upon inserting any data CD, they will not be able to eject their CD from within the Myth interface. (If I'm just missing the eject icon, let me know where, okay? I could just be blind.)

SUMMARY:

The MythTV interface, from a regular user's perspective, has some holes. Really, though, the greater problem I think is that the menu was carved up by programmer's functionality and not user's functionality. What Warped describes of the DIGA player is a good example of how it should be done...

Warped wrote:
When You put media into player, DIGA shows You nice dialog with options dependent on media contents:

For import function You have very simple file manager (browse tree, make dir, copy files).

Last edited by jmccorm on Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:20 pm 
Thx jmccorm for nice summary :-)

In fact my thoughts about DIGA was presented on this forum just for pointing good examples of user friendliness...

Sure, MythTV as a great piece of software, but believe me - first few seconds makes overall impression for long time...

Makers of MythTV are very talented people, so adding such functionality to MythTV should be a matter of weeks/months

Am I right ?

jmccorm wrote:

SUMMARY:

The MythTV interface, from a regular user's perspective, has some holes. Really, though, the greater problem I think is that the menu was carved up by programmer's functionality and not user's functionality. What Warped describes of the DIGA player is a good example of how it should be done...

Warped wrote: