View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:36 pm 
Hi All,

I'm fighting with config of MythTV last few days... without success :-(

I'm living in Poland. We haven't here servers with XMLTV, so all channel sources, freq., etc. I have to provide manually.

Can somebody describe me in exact steeps (or point me to right place) - how can I configure plain vanilla KnoppMyth install to be simple TV box ?

Hw is have M1000 with PVR250, so hardware is pretty standard.

Thx in advace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:36 am 
I don't have experience with the PVR, but here is the rough idea:

1) Install KnoppMyth
2) After the reboots, in mythtv-setup:
a) Function 2. Capture Card. Add your PVR250.
b) Function 3. Video Source. Create one, any name you like, for any country you like. Run any script associated with configuring the source (will probably require Alt-X to get to the terminal window so you can interact with the script),
but do not add any channels.
c) Function 4. (can't remember the name). Link your card to your video source name. Set an appropriate starting channel for your area.
d) Function 5. Channel Editor. Add each channel, giving a name, number, and frequency ID.
e) Exit mythtv-setup and hopefully watch TV in the frontend.

The only difficulty is setting the frequency IDs for your channels. MythTV has no frequency table for Poland, so you will have to use another country with compatible frequencies and use that. Here are the ones currently in MythTV:

http://cvs.mythtv.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.c ... .c?rev=1.6

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:48 pm 
Nigel,

Thx. Finally I managed it to working.
Honestly speaking I already do Your procedure many, many times - without success.

Today I done it once again, but with grabber configured for different country...maybe that helps ?

Any way - now TV is working. First success since week of fighting !

Now I want to play with most interesting part of MythTV - recording.

My idea is following:
1. Generate XMLTV file for my favorite TV stations
2. Note channel names from tag "programme channel='name'"
3. Define all desired channels in channel editor with string 'name' placed in field XMLID
4. Copy my XMLTV file to MythTv box (where ?)
5. Open Xterm & run mythtvfilldatabase with params --file <sourceid> <offset> <xmlfile>

Questions:
1. Is this procedure correct & complete ?
2. "sourceid" string - should it be the same like string entered in "video source setup" screen ?
3. My TV playing is almost smooth :-(. Every 5-10 sec, for very short time I see very short freeze. It is so subtle, that I can notice it only on dynamic scenes, but it is noticeable. I already turned on XvMC Via Unichrome option & top is showing avg 35% CUP load. Where can be problem ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:33 pm 
Warped wrote:
1. Is this procedure correct & complete ?
Seems about right. On my box at home, I do 'mythfilldatabase --file 1 -1 guide.xml' every few days. I generate guide.xml at work from a Perl script. As long as the XMLTVIDs match, it inserts data reliably.
Quote:
2. "sourceid" string - should it be the same like string entered in "video source setup" screen ?
You probably have only one video source defined, so sourceid would be 1. If you had a more complex setup (one analogue card, one satellite) then you might have separate source for each.
Quote:
3. My TV playing is almost smooth :-(. Every 5-10 sec, for very short time I see very short freeze.
Don't really know. Maybe not enough memory? Sound card driver issues? Try experimenting with all the settings. Turn off deinterlacing. Try reducing the data rate on the 250.