View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:40 pm 
Live feed sounds like a good idea, if Cecil and Dale can tolerate a LOT of coffee - they have to stay awake for quite a long time. :wink:

Even if we could set up the same date for every install party, we can't set them to start at the same time. Between Finland and Australia there is a time gap of 12 hours (+- few). Of course those who are approximately at the same time zone could benefit gratly of such a live contact.

MBE&FE: GeForce MX440, Athlon XP 2000+, MSI KT333 Ultra, onboard audio, 512 MB, 2 x Technotrend T1500 DVB-T, LiteOn DVD±RW 16x DW1650-488C, Seagate 250 GB
FE: 1500MHz Geforce MX200-V, int. audio, 256MB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:56 pm 
Site Admin
Liv2Cod wrote:
I just had another thought -- wouldn't it be cool to link the install party sites together with a audio/video conference feed? At a minimum we need access to Cecil, Dale, and the other experts on a live feed for when we run into problems!
I thought about this... But I cannot think of a quick and easy way to do it. Based on the locations, we can get with Internet connections and based on the locations network/firewall policies we may not be able to do this. At a minimum, I'd be happy to give my contact information to each site leader.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:54 pm 
Wouldn't using MythPhone be a good demo of the power of the software :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:39 pm 
Hiya

I am in Coventry in the West Midlands, in the UK.

I could have a word at work for hosting the event, we have about 3 x 8mg broadband, and my director is very keen on TV stuff, but he has a dreambox and no time to get into mythtv, but I am sure him and another colleague can be converted, especially when he see's R6 ????

only trouble is we have no tv aeriel etc......

But We could set up a dummy mpg tuner ?????

AMD Sempron 2400+ on Via Motherboard,
512MB Ram, 160GB IDE HDD,
Nvidia Geforce FX5500 128MB TV-Out,
2 x Twinhan DVB-T BT878 (Freeview UK)
KnoppMYTH R5F27

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:54 pm 
Yes, MythPhone would be good but again, it's use would be based on the network rules. In terms of tuners, I think dummy tuners maybe of use... In addition, I think a VCR maybe used to dummy a broadcast signal.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:51 am 
I can host in Austin, TX for Central Texas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:48 pm 
I can't host, but would attend an event in Phoenix. Perhaps we should send a call out to local Linux Users Groups?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:10 pm 
mattshaw wrote:
Hiya
only trouble is we have no tv aeriel etc......

But We could set up a dummy mpg tuner ?????

Yes it is very easy to do, just need a file MythTV internal player can play (MPEG2) and SQL hack to import correct values into MYSQL database.

I'll an import here later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:54 pm 
Hi,

Rather a neat idea and hopefully many will make it work too ! :)

Live2Cod's live suggestion is excellent, wish I had thought of it and maybe I will... any way I have the impression that Dale & Cecil are with in a commutable distance so would not be too difficult for them to be in one place to share a camera & mic so the MythPhone could work. But how would the many other talented assistants be able to be in the same phone connection?

Another possibility is to use MythStream (maybe even a preprogrammed "knoppmyth channel")? I don't know but maybe other streams incoming to a central point then could be merged to make a single out going stream? pip effect or gallery view?

Thanks
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:05 pm 
I know that skype lets you conference in a limited number of sites. I don't think it works with their video phone, tho. But I could be wrong...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:20 am 
Site Admin
The use of LUGs to get the word out is a great idea. He is what I posted to the OCLUG.

Quote:
A few weeks ago, a user on the forum proposed a KnoppMyth Installation Party. Good idea I thought. Unfortunately this user is in Europe and I cannot say I have any immediate plans of visiting Europe. So, I thought why not try and coordinate something worldwide?

So I decided on a KnoppMyth Worldwide Installation Party! The proposed date is February 16th 2008. This is a week after SCALE. If invited, we plan to release KnoppMyth R6 at SCALE. The following Saturday, I'd host a KIP here in the southern California area. Already, we have folks willing to host in northern California, Australia, England (2 locations so far!), Poland (or France) and Finland!

Essentially, the idea of the party is to get KnoppMyth users (and would be users) together to demo and install the latest version, to talk KnoppMyth and MythTV. Of course, we'd all chip into for food and beverages. Generally a good time revolving around an excellent use of Linux and Open Source!

I do have a location in mind, however I'm not certain if it will be available to me in February. Does anyone know of a location here in SoCal that is centrally located? Ideally, we would have access to cable TV, be capable of getting a good signal from Mt. Wilson (for HD OTA) and at a minimum Internet access. In addition, we'd need tables so folks can setup their set-top box(es). If so, please contact me off list.

Please spread the word about the installation party. If someone would like to host a party themselves, please contact me. I'll post more information as plans begin to solidify.

Warm regards,

Cecil
Please start contacting your local LUG to get the word out. I do plan on creating a new section of the forum dedicated to the WKIP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:51 pm 
Site Admin
I've spoken the folks behind MythDora and Mythbuntu. Thy like the idea as well. So, I've opened it up as the MythTV installation Party. I posted about the party on the MythTV mailing list. No matter the overall MythTV community response, I still want to go ahead with the WKIP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:32 pm 
As mentioned to Cecil on the mythtv-users mailing list i am keen to do something in Christchurch NZ. I am due to give a mythtv demo to my local lug, and that shoud encourage a turnout for an install day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:01 pm 
Site Admin
Glad to see you on board Nick! I'm dismayed by the lack of response on the MythTV mailing list. But that won't stop us from doing something KnoppMyth specific. Those that want to host an event in your area, please start making arrangements. Even if it is just getting a neighbor or two, lets spread the word!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:23 am 
We have a whole training room with power, internet, 1 projector and about 8 stations and plenty of room for about 6-8 more. I could try and convince work to let me do this after hours or on a weekend. I don't currently have a KnoppMyth box (my old motherboard died and my wife hasn't let me buy a new one yet). So, I personally don't have hardware to install on, but I might be able to work something out. I'm in RTP, NC.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next