View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:30 am 
I have recently installed a knoppmyth R5C7 box after having it as a Windows box using the Dvico software (for about a month, I was lazy) , it all worked fine upto the point where I try to add the channels in. I'm in Perth - Western Austraila.

My box
Dell gx270 - P4 2.6 (FSB800+HT)
2x128 RAM (dual accessing)
DVico HDTV Plus (rev 1.1 low profile)
WD 200GB HD

I have been trying with both a set of amplified rabbit ears and also a new TV roof antanne, since the new roof antennae I get all 6 channels crystal clear via analog (ABC,SBS,7,9,10,Access31).

With the basic install it did not detect the card correctly.
Installed the Chris's modules v4l-dvb-2f259866534d and it detected the card correctly. Can successfully scan for 3/5 of the transports, ABC,7,10 all detect fine everytime. 9 and SBS have a real time hard time getting lock, once they get it it keeps it. It fails to get lock about 99% of the time.
Using the mythtv-setup
- scan detects ABC,7,10 and puts the correct transports in.
- manually entering the transports doesn't help.
Using dvscan to get channel info it normally detects parts of the transport but not all of it, normally atleast a couple or all of the pids time out. It does output the channels but doesn't always tag them with the correct name.
I was using tzap to check what was happening, if it was or was not getting FE_LOCK.
It is also failing to display the signal strength, even on the locked channels.

Since the basic install I have also tried these variatons.
2.6.16.20 kernel - failed to detect card correctly.
2.6.16.20 kernel with Chris's (Dvico) modules - fails to lock SBS and 9.
2.6.16.20 kernel with HGs (v4l-dvb) and then Chris's (Dvico) modules - fails to lock SBS and 9.
back to default knoppmyth kernel with e1000 and P4 compiled in (I managed to get the machine to segment fault on boot playing with the modules in 2.6.16.20) - failing for SBS and 9.

After playing around doing this for about a week I have found another guy having the exact same problem in Perth. He has an existing knoppmyth box currently using 2x Dvico Plus (ver 1.0) and a Dvico USB all working fine. He tried to put a Dvico Plus ver 1.1 and it also would not get lock for SBS and 9.

In http://eledhel.dft.net.au/~ashen/mythtv/ I have example outputs of various things...
Dmesg with card detecting
Example dvbscan with failures
Exmaple dvbscan with no failures.
dvbscan -c of failing
dvbscan -c of working
tzap working channel
tzap failing channel

First off I would like to know if anyone else in Perth has similar issues aswell, just incase both the examples I have are being caused by the same human error.

Or if anyone knows which bits do what with the DVB? ie ZAL10353 vs cx88 etc etc?

Ideas? more information?... just let me know.

Christian

Last edited by Ickus on Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:00 am 
I have one of the original dvico dvb-t1 full cards (high profile with analog in). When the dvico drivers first made it into the kernel, my card would not work with them (although it did work with chris pascoe's linux-tv stuff). I dug through the code, and there had been a massive reoganisation between the the pascoe stuff and what ended up in the kernel. I eventually found that there was a bit of code that sent different codes to the card depending on the tuning frequency, and the two codebases were not the same. The code in the new kernel had a table of frequencies and codes to use for those frequencies, so I adjusted to table so that it behaved like the pascoe drivers and then my card worked with the kernel code. I submitted the patch to the linux-tv mob and the kernel crowd as well.

The reason I tell such a long winded story is that because the version 1.1 card is relatively new, there may be similar issues where the code does not sent the correct commands to the card depending on the frequency that it is tuning to. Have a look at the frequencies of the transports for the two channels you are having problems with. Are they higher than the rest of the channels? Are they higher than similar channels in Brisbane (where the guy who wrote the driver is from)?

Does the card work properly in windows? If so, your best bet may be to try to liase with Chris Pascoe to see if you can find the fault in the drivers.

Of course another reason may simply be signal strength. Do those channels transmit from the same site as the other channels in Perth? Are you in a good signal area? Is your antenna capable of effectively receiving the frequencies of thos channels?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:34 am 
i have a feeling SBS is quite weak in perth.

i can't get it at all with my visionplus.

i am in the eastern suburbs area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:14 am 
I had trouble getting SBS in Brisvegas when doing just a normal scan I had to add the transport manually and add all the details you can and then it works fine.

I use dvbscan to get the details I need and use in the respective fields and bob's your second cousins father's brother.

Post subject: Its getting better
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:13 pm 
I have been emailing with ChrisP and after a little custom patch I can now get lock on all channel, even though it takes upto 5 seconds sometimes to get lock.

This is still in the very early stages (ie he only sent me the first patch last night) but it atleast points to definitely being the hardware not liking the modules 100%.

I have yet to try mtyhtv's scanning to see if its good enough to work.

Post subject: Tweaking
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:46 pm 
After a little bit of tweaking with a patch for zl10353.c and individually testing some scanning values... I now have it detecting all channels in mythtv. :)

I did have to extend the timeouts for scanning and locking in myth both to 5 seconds but I assume this issue will also be fixed as soon as Intel provide ChrisP with the offset values the tuner uses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:37 pm 
That's good news. I'm glad my ravings put you on the right track :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:15 pm 
This is interesting as I'm seeing this exact problem in R5.5. My Divco and older USB Twihan tuners both lock up and seg fault the mythtv-setup whilst tuning for sbs (536500000Hz) in Perth. I found a hack which suggested using 536666666Hz instead which works only on my USB tuner not the Divco plus card. It seems to be caused from the new Linux DVB drivers and I was wondering if anyone ha a fix for this, or is still experiencing the problem. If I upgrade from R5B27 it's ok, it's only if I do a clean install that the wheels fall off and it seg faults when tuning sbs (and only sbs).

Any ideas?

Cheers

Bj

Frontend3:Centrino in cubby