View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:32 pm 
I cannot seem to get the Line-In on my Sound Blaster Live! working properly.

What I want to be able to do is route the audio coming from my PVR-350 outputs into the line-in on my Sound Blaster Live!, and then run the Sound Blaster Live! output to my stereo receiver.

I have verified that sound is working from the PVR-350 by hooking it directly to the TV inputs. When I route the sound output into the sound blaster and then back out I hear nothing.

I have checked the settings for the sound using alsamixer, but no luck.

Does anyone else have a setup similar to this and what settings did you have to make in alsamixer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:48 pm 
why do you want to use line-in from PVR350? PVR350 encodes the input to mpeg2 which has audio too. you just have to play it back out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:49 pm 
I know you said you checked the settings for alsamixer, but did you select line in as your capture input? If you move the selector over line in and then press the space bar, it should select that input.

I'm not sure if that's what's stopping you, but it's worth a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:41 pm 
well I'm not doing the exact same thing as you, but I have the sound from a leadtek card going to line in then back out to the stereo, and I didn't have to touch a thing to get it working.

I am guessing you are capturing the sound from the pvr350 because you are using it for playback correct? The issue is probably that even though you have the line in as your capture device nothing is trying to capture the audio and pump it back out the other input, since it thinks all sound is going out the 350. I'm not sure you are going to have much luck with that, and as I recall this is one of the bigger complaints with using the pvr350's for tvout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:00 pm 
Grooby - When I use the PVR-350 to output Live TV and recorded programs, it outputs both the sound and video. If there is a way to get the audio to come out the Sound Blaster card instead I would love to hear it.

Dinki - Yes, I have made sure that the settings in alsamixer are correct without any luck.

Xsecrets - Yes, I am capturing the sound from the PVR350 because I am using it for playback.

I guess I'll just keep messing around with it until I get it working then, since I can't use my graphics card for TV-out (old Riva TNT 16MB w/o TV-out).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:15 pm 
well I seriously doubt that you'll have much luck with this. The pvr350 output is just too new. Basically what is happening is that the 350 decodes the mpeg stream and puts the video on tvout and the sound out it's sound port, what would have to happen is to get the pvr drivers to take the sound output after the hardware decode and dump it to the soundcard line in, and I seriously doubt that this kind of work has been done since they are still trying to stabilize the output as a whole.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:05 pm 
You are probably right. I've been messing around with it for hours with no luck.

I guess I'll just have to wait a while for that kind of functionality.

Thanks though.