View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:34 pm 
I am not sure. I now when you use hdparm to spin down drive, it will not wake up till something tries to access the disk. Now it only takes a few seconds for the drive to fully spin up, so I would assume data would go to ram until drive is available.

Being that streams are only a few megabits per second that should only be about 5 megs or so that go to ram. I could be totally wrong, as this is just a hypothesis.

Anyone know for sure?

Post subject: Wake on LAN
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:29 am 
SScorpio wrote:
The biggest issue with wake on LAN is if you have a router the magic packet can and likely will be blocked. The way I get around it is having a router with a custom Linux firmware that has an exposed an SSH server to the outside world. I then just log into the router with Putty or some other SSH client and type "./wol" which runs a script that calls ether-wake on my router. This causes my PC to then boot remotely without having too much exposed to the outside world with a firewall.

This was recently added to the Wiki Site:

http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=WakeonLANConcierge

Which should work for anyone prepared to leave a smaller, lower power unit on 24/7. If you also run SSHd on the 24/7 box (i.e. the "concierge") you are good to go. Note that the custom firmware router you suggest is also a good project/workaround for firewalling the installation.

Pretty well any lower power box (e.g. EPIA, Xpresso, WRAP board, NSLU2, etc.) can be configured as outlined in the wiki article with some mods to the instructions.

Squiff

Post subject: 81W idle
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:42 pm 
I recently installed a new Antec Earthwatts power supply (power factor corrected). The motherboard is an Asus A8N-VM CSM with an AMD 3500+ processor.

My Knoppmyth box uses 81W when idle and about 95W when busy. The power factor reading is 0.97.

I made these measurements with a Kill-A-Watt meter.

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:17 pm 
Specs:
Frontend Only
MOBO: ECS 741GX-M2 (GQ 3151)
CPU: AMD Geode NX1750 (Single Core 1.4 GHz)
RAM: 768MB DDR400
VIDEO: Sparkle SF-PC84GS512U2LP Passive (NVIDIA 8400GS)
PSU: Seasonic (unknown model) 80+ Certified
OPTICAL: Plextor PX-800A DVD/RW
HDD: Maxtor DiamondMax10 300GB IDE/ATA133

Not the most impressive in terms of power consumption, but much like the NVIDIA ION platform the ability to use this low rent CPU/Mobo combo for full HD playback is impressive. I can playback full bitrate 1080p Blu-Ray/HD-DVD rips (h264, vc1, mpeg2) and OTA HDTV with no trouble thanks to NVIDIA's VDPAU. At idle I'm using 66W. Per top CPU generally sits ~ 80% idle and the load average is 0.30 - 0.40 while sucking down 73-75W for HDTV. For the ripped Blu-Ray/HD-DVD playback (all 1080p - h264, vc1 and mpeg2) 80% idle, 11-12% usr, load average 0.80 - 0.95 while consuming 73W. I'm guessing the few extra watts for HDTV is due to deinterlacing 1080i.

I'm quite happy with the results, but wish the power consumption was a little lower. I was getting nearly the same results with an AMD BE-2350 and Abit AN-M2HD. One of these days I'll try out a pico psu and see what hapens. If anything I can commission the BE-2350/AN-M2HD for something that the NX1750 could not handle.

Go to page Previous  1, 2