View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:12 pm 
So I built my system spec off the Dragon, and go today to get nvram-wakeup working. It doesn't. :( Strange enough, it seams to set everything up just fine in the BIOS, but the system never turns back on. I've followed the wiki and even got it rebooting to shutdown. Still the box doesn't turn up.

Has anyone gotten the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum to work with nvram-wakeup before?! Maybe I'm using bad search keys, but I can't find any reference to dragon systems or this board on any of the nvram-wakeup threads I've read on here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:56 am 
I'm still working on getting this to work on Dragon, but if you come up with or find a solution, I can merge it into KnoppMyth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:16 am 
Human wrote:
I'm still working on getting this to work on Dragon, but if you come up with or find a solution, I can merge it into KnoppMyth.

Could you send me over any information or such that you have done so far?

So far I've gotten it to set the time in the BIOS, and also got it to shutdown either via halt or via rebooting.

The .powernow kernel does not work for me, the machine will lock up upon loading the kernel into memory.

The bios will wake if you go into the BIOS, set it and power off. This is the only way I've gotten the machine to wake up.

I have a feeling the checksome prob isn't matching up. Never worked with nvram before, just a hunch. Dunno why it would set everything and the BIOS not use it unless the checksome was bad so the bios tossed out the values??? Again, all a guess.

My next steps are to upgrade the BIOS and go though all my tests again, I'm still on what ever came with the board. I really want this working, I can't stand it running while I'm trying to sleep. Right now each night I'm going into the BIOS and setting it by hand to wake up about 5 minutes before the next record it has to do. Of course it never turns back off. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:40 am 
Nyctoparros wrote:
Could you send me over any information or such that you have done so far?

Oops, I was thinking of hibernate, not nvram-wakeup :) All I have done so far with hibernate is successfully get it to wake up again, but when it wakes up, audio does not work, nor does the StreamZap. It just seems to fail to reload certain kernel modules, and I need to look into it.

In my experience, the supporting software for nvram-wakeup had a narrow definition of what it was for the system to be idle. For example, if it was idling on a menu in the frontend but you were putting content onto the box over the network, it'd think it was idle and sleep. If you had dropped to a shell to do something, but you weren't playing a recording, that was considered idle. The version I tried also was unable to go to sleep once you'd interrupted it one time.

I'd still like nvram-wakeup to work, though I have little information to offer since I worked with it 4 months ago. When I tried it in a prerelease KM version, it did sleep and wake up on time once I realized the BIOS clock had to be set to GMT. The checksum seemed to be ok.

Did you check here? http://svn.wilsonet.com/projects/mythtvology/ticket/40

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:01 am 
I have a different MB than dragon, but the following might help.

A couple of releases ago, I noticed that nvram-wakeup wasn't always waking up the computer. I believe the problem is related to some of the power saving changes made in the knoppmyth kernal. Even if I set the wakeup time directly in the BIOS, it would sometimes not wakeup after shutting down from knoppmyth.

I finally fixed the problem by setting things up so that the box was always rebooted before shutting down (even if there was no change in the wakeup time). I also used the poweroff-kernel described in the nvram-wakeup documentation.

Now, when the box is shutdown, it first reboots into the poweroff-kernel and then shuts down. This seemed to clear whatever the knoppmyth kernel was doing that prevented the BIOS wakeup from working.

Note: I am not blaming the "knoppmyth" kernel--if I can use that term. The root problem is in many MBs. The MB should wakeup to the time in BIOS independant of how it is shutdown.

Cheers,

Allen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:11 am 
I didn't see the last two posts before I sent mine.

Nyctoparros: If you can't get the poweroff kernel to work, you might try playing around with the apm=off and/or the acpm=none kernel options (you will probably have to search to find the exact format). You might try to re-download the poweroff kernel in case something is corrupt.

Human: If you are ever looking at nvram-wakeup, the MythWelcome method looks better. It still uses nvram-wakeup, but the shutdown mechanism looks better. Note that I haven't tried this myself, but will the next time I upgrade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:47 am 
alien wrote:
Human: If you are ever looking at nvram-wakeup, the MythWelcome method looks better. It still uses nvram-wakeup, but the shutdown mechanism looks better. Note that I haven't tried this myself, but will the next time I upgrade.

I have gotten MythWelcome to "work" but it had limitations (which is why "work" is in quotes.) :) I'll revisit it again when time permits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:24 am 
Human wrote:
In my experience, the supporting software for nvram-wakeup had a narrow definition of what it was for the system to be idle. For example, if it was idling on a menu in the frontend but you were putting content onto the box over the network, it'd think it was idle and sleep. If you had dropped to a shell to do something, but you weren't playing a recording, that was considered idle. The version I tried also was unable to go to sleep once you'd interrupted it one time.
Hmmm.... I thought from reading the docs that once you started a frontend from mythwelcome that it would not shut down unless the frontend was exited. Are you saying that if you start the frontend but are idle on the main menu that it will shutdown if no other recording etc. is running?

That would be disappointing. If that is so, I may do a cleanup of the nvram-wakeup scripts I put on the wiki to take advantage of the new options in 0.19.

Allen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:24 pm 
Finally managed to get the Dragon to shutdown and wakeup using the BIOS on Mythtv version R5F27. This is a tremendous step forward, especially with UK energy prices rocketing. I measured the power consumption of my Mythtv box at 80W. This uses 700kWh / year and based on a unit (kWh) of electricity being 21.53p (inc VAT) costs me £159 / year! Instead of leaving your mythtv box (Dragon hardware) running, try using the procedure below.

1. Install latest BIOS, I am currently using version 1.D available from the MSI download page http://global.msi.com.tw Downloads. (This might not be necessary, but I did it anyway).
2. On BIOS menu, set RTC Resume to [disable].
3. Based on Wiki at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/ACPI_Wakeup, follow steps for /proc/acpi/alarm as follows:
a) On Mythtv box, download powersaved using
Code:
apt-get update,
apt-get install powersaved

b) Start acpid and powersaved daemons to start using
Code:
/etc/init.d/acpid restart
/etc/init.d/powersaved restart

c) Configure acpid and powersaved daemons to start at boot using:
Code:
update-rc.d acpid defaults
update-rc.d powersaved defaults

d) Check powersave is working with
Code:
$powersave -S

which should reply with ACPI.
4. Follow steps from "Enable Mythwelcome" at http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17366&highlight=wakeup
up to to the "Optional Section" (not needed) then follow "Reconfigure Mythtv" to continue.
5. Should now work! You might need to adjust the timings to suit your requirements using
Code:
mythtv-setup

Algenon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:59 am 
Congratulations on getting mythwelcome working with a Dragon. You are the first person I have heard of that has done it.

FYI: When you upgrade to 5.5, the ACPI interface is changed in the kernel. The instructions to set it up are at http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=MythWelcome

If you get it working in 5.5, feel free to update the wiki with any additional Dragon specific notes.

Cheers,

Allen