View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: kworld v. wintv 250
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:29 am 
After much research, I've finally decided to take the plunge of building a box based on knoppmyth but now the hard part of deciding which components to use. In looking over the hardware sections, it appears that the way to go would be the pvr 250 but I'm short on funds at the moment so was considering buying the kworld. However, I was wondering about two things: audio and remote. How is the quality running an audio out to the sound card? Does anyone have a kworld remote working? Finally, what would be the easiest motherboard to use - I'm no newbie to linux but would like the simplest configuration possible.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:49 pm 
I've never used the kworld, but I can tell you if you go with the pvr250 and the grey remote and get a chaintech 7nif2 motherboard you will be all set if you use knoppmyth. Should work 100% out of the box. The chaintech board has onboard sournd, lan, and video (with tvout) which all work with knoppmyth after running just a few scripts which are in the install documentation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:22 pm 
looks like it would be best to save up and buy a pvr250 or maybe I can behave and get it for Christmas.

If I wanted to display to tv, would it be best to buy a vga to ntsc converter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:23 pm 
well if you have hdtv most say that is the only way to go, but I myself just haven't been able to scrounge up the 100+ dollars for a decent scan converter, so I am using the svid output from my nforce onboard video and the quality is good enough for me, but our cable signal is not all that great anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:01 am 
I'm running mine with an nforce2 motherboard and using the onboard ethernet and audio. (biostar m7ncg) I also have an ATI tv wonder tv tuner that works ok, but I would recommend you go with the wintv pvr-250, or if you don't have the green go with the wintv go. It should work with the ivtv drivers. The president of OSUS here in Edmonton is using two of those cards in his box and he says they work great. I'm also using the ATI tv wonder remote which is nice, but I've been having some problems with it being sluggish at times.. This might be a common thing for the remotes, I'm not sure.