View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:03 pm 
I was looking at this wireless/wired HD Media Player (D-Link DSM-520) and wonder if it would work as a front end with knoppmyth?

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=438&sec=0

Post subject: DSM?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:53 am 
Hi,

I've been working on a solution since the 320 came, a non-programmer, kludge friendly solution. The best method i found so far, was to install tversity on a windows box, use the XVID scripts from the wiki, and then set your tversity to pick up the rss feed generated by it. That way you can at least watch the fairly recent recordings (once they are done transcoding). The only down fall to this, is that you need to kludge together a clean up script for your mythbackend, or you have to manually deleted the old xvid files..

From what i understand, the newest .20 release, supports pnp devices directly, so maybe it will work with the dsm..

pro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:41 am 
I use a DSM-320 with Twonkymedia Upnp server running directly on the mythbox.
It does play most of my videos and all my music and pictures; it doesn't accept recordings in .mpg format from DVB-T (I still have to try transconding).

I must say that while the DSM-320 provides a significant improvement in flexibility, it does not substitute a full front end in terms of file compatibility (knoppmyth so far has played perfectly everything and with best quality), flexibility and functionality.

Post subject: DSM-320
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:23 pm 
Hi Everybody,

I thought I'd bump the thread, and with version 2.0, the DSM-320 works perfectly with Knoppmyth, AS LONG as you connect it via ethernet
With my setup, 802.11g doesn't have the guts to move a non-transcoded file across the network. I can't remember the details of MPEG2, but from my real-world experience, just don't bother. Take the time to run cat5.

However, I was able to play XVID encoded files, fairly decenly via the wireless connection, but I didn't like to wait the 2 hours or so before it was done transcoding.

My only complaint with the dsm now, is the lack of fast forward and rewind. I hate having to watch commercials

pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:24 am 
Hmm,

I have just done a clean install of the latest version, but my DSM-320 cannot find my KnoppMythTV box (uPNP), but does still find my TVersity windows based box.

Is there anything special you need to do to get uPNP working?

(I couldn't find anything in the documentation, but then again I may have missed it!)

Cheers Douglas.

Post subject: Re: DSM-320
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:01 pm 
prosonik wrote:
My only complaint with the dsm now, is the lack of fast forward and rewind. I hate having to watch commercials

It may be the server, not the client. I picked up a DSM-510 over the weekend. Just to make sure it's working, I tried using it with the bundled Nero server for Windows and was stunned when ff/rew didn't work. Whenever I hit the buttons, I got something like "invalid operation". I then switched to Windows Media Player 11, and then ff/rew worked perfectly. Could be that the server you're using doesn't respond to the requests the DSM is sending.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:03 pm 
pearless wrote:
I have just done a clean install of the latest version, but my DSM-320 cannot find my KnoppMythTV box (uPNP), but does still find my TVersity windows based box.

Is there anything special you need to do to get uPNP working?

I have the same problem. My DSM-510 has no problem detecting the two Windows servers I tried, but it doesn't detect my R5E50 system.

I was wondering if there's a dependency on DHCP. My MythTV box is set up with a static IP. Does that matter? Or maybe I botched up the broadcast address when doing the install?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:17 pm 
Hmm,

I left my system alone for a while and it now my DSM320 can see my KnoppMythTV box.

Not sure why it did not earlier!

Douglas. :)