View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:36 pm 
I'm sick and tired of trying to search, search, search for an answer I can understand. Far as I can tell, I have to do some sort of compiling (not dog piling) to get this thing to work.

I'm a Windows geek. First time I've ever even seen a Linux environment was 3 days ago when I tried to install KnoppMyth. Got it working, but then realized that I had an HD tuner, but I don't get HD. I returned my Avermedia A180 for a Hauppage PVR150 (because I saw a ton of stuff on here about "how easy it was!!1one"). Heh... yeah, right.

I got the tuner working, but how in hades do I set up the remote!?

Specs:
Athlon64 3700+ (San Diego), MSI RS480M-IL MoBo (matx w/ ATI chipset), 1GB PC3200, 250GB IDE HD, Nvidia Geforce 6600, Hauppage PVR150.

TIA for dealing with the noob.

edit: after rereading the "read before posting" I realize this should go in hardware. I won't post a thread up in hardware if this gets moved, wink wink nudge nudge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:57 pm 
In a terminal window (alt-x), run
Code:
lirc-reconfig.sh

That will allow you to choose your remote. I believe you want the Hauppauge a415-hpg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:55 pm 
Yes, I went through that little prompt when I set up Knoppmyth.

Well I ran that again, and it still doesn't work. I tried that A415 remote, and the PVR150 normal and dog bone. No dice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:01 pm 
See the R5E50 hints posting here. http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13108 Even though the title says "R5E50 Upgrade hints and hazards" much of the information also applies to new installs. In particular see Known Issue #7. There are also other links in the thread to information about troubleshooting your remote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:07 pm 
Soo... is that a "good luck!"

I know there must be someone here who has it working. Please, let me know what you did. I can't be the first person going through this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:34 pm 
No that was a "this is how to find the information".

Setting up lirc is fussy. It's always been fussy. Cecil et al have made great strides in this area, but the udev change broke some things, and nobody caught it in testing. :( There's nothing for it but to document the issues and fixes, shrug and go on. :?

The documentation and howtos are far from perfect, but this is a community effort that depends on volunteers, and volunteer documentation is perhaps the biggest challenge of all. Professional tech writers generally don't want anything to do with it, since it's miserable enough work when your getting paid for it. Those of us who do attempt it discover that detailed documentation is as likely to scare people off (OMG - It's so complicated!) as terse documentation is confuse them or leave them groping for details, assuming that they look for it and read it at all. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:02 pm 
Yes, I agree with you. I was hoping that my post would be an easy, simple little "walkthrough" for how to set up a nice basic mythtv box with one of the more popular cards - the PVR150. I intend to stick with this, I just don't know jack squat about Linux, so it's hard to provide any real useful feedback on how it goes. I'll go over the link you suggested earlier with a fine-tooth comb when I get the chance.

Thanks for your help.