View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Internal Blu-ray ROMs
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:35 pm 
I am looking at making my first KnoppMyth HTPC and am wanting to have Blu-ray playing ability, I have found a couple of semi-inexpensive (compared to the standalone players) internal drives on newegg and was curious if these are supported by KnoppMyth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:42 pm 
AFAIK, BluRay is not supported by MythTV of any flavor. However I've seen the Ubuntu guide to playing HD and BR rips with an SVN mplayer configuration. But it was still very 'alpha' in its progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:37 am 
Site Admin
There is current no legal method of playing Blu-ray on Linux. While the next release will have what I can legally include to playback HD disc content, that is as far as I can go...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:05 pm 
Has this changed at all? I was hoping to add bluray to my box...

KM: R5.5
CPU: Athlon 3800+
Vid: nvidia 7300GT
Snd: Chaintech av-710
Tuner: PVR150
HD: 1000gb sata + 750gb sata + 500gb usb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:41 pm 
My understanding is the encryption. Playing the BR is doable, watching a rented or purchased movie...

How about
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Restr ... ayAndHDDVD

Also check the doomforum.

I'd love to hear if anyone has BR going on a KM box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:26 am 
That's all I want, to be able to play bluray discs. It seems stupid that I can buy a computer, bluray player, bluray movie and not be able to play it because I choose to use linux on my computer...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:32 pm 
Gibble wrote:
That's all I want, to be able to play bluray discs. It seems stupid that I can buy a computer, bluray player, bluray movie and not be able to play it because I choose to use linux on my computer...

Agreed 10000%! I really have no desire to store 30GBs/movie. But I wouldn't mind renting a couple once in a while.

If playing is doable, I'd like to hear about experiences and hardware specs needed. Frankly I think it's still a ways away from popping in a disk and clicking my remote. I've also read a bit about DRMs wanting to downscale to 540 unless it get's some online clearance to output 1080. (You kiddin' me???)

Thing is I could likely torrent a HD copy the day after it's released and play without issue, but try to rent it and ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:19 pm 
Too Many Secrets wrote:
I've also read a bit about DRMs wanting to downscale to 540 unless it get's some online clearance to output 1080. (You kiddin' me???)

DRMs have the option of downscaling unless the connection from player to display is rights-managed as well. In other words, the connection has to be digital (HDMI or DVI) and not analog (component, VGA).

In fact, under Windows, you have to have a DRM-capable video card AND a DRM-capable monitor in order to watch any Blu-Ray discs on an external monitor. Apple too: some people recently reported not being able to watch a purchased movie on an external projector: the DRM kicked in and it wouldn't play at all.

So if we're EVER able to watch Blu-Ray on Linux, it will pretty much depend on the DRM being cracked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:11 pm 
It's the dumbest business plan I've ever heard. Lets lock it down so tight it's nearly impossible for people to use our content...and then they wonder why stuff is pirated? Simple. Because it's now easier to pirate, than be legal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:30 pm 
Gibble wrote:
It's the dumbest business plan I've ever heard. Lets lock it down so tight it's nearly impossible for people to use our content...and then they wonder why stuff is pirated? Simple. Because it's now easier to pirate, than be legal.

It's also easier to pirate than to demand legislative assistance.

WARNING: paranoid rant to follow:
It's not nearly impossible to get content playing...
Non-technical people can make this stuff work if they throw the right amount of money at the problem; for example buy a DVD copy for the home theater, and a second copy off iTunes for the iPod.
Techies can get the stuff to work anywhere by using various tools of questionable legality.
Meanwhile there are lots of lobbyists telling gov't how tighter and tighter restrictions are necessary, and the only people complaining are the ones who look like idiots because they can't make either solution work.

Is it REALLY a dumb business plan? Let the techies do some pirating; it keeps them from mailstorming their reps, demanding change. Sue the pants off any techie who goes to far, and use the techies own activities to bolster your own arguments to the government that piracy is out of control and tighter restrictions are needed.

All while bleeding the green out of N00B wallets.

see? Business plans that make a buttload of money are not dumb by definition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:05 am 
It's a simple process:

1) Watch Star Wars Trilogy in theater (buy popcorn and soda)
2) Buy Star Wars Trilogy on VHS.
3) Watch re-mastered Star Wars trilogy in theater (more popcorn and soda)
4) Buy each movie on DVD.
5) Buy special 3 disc collectors set on DVD.
6) Purchase portable copies for my iPod, iPhone, PSP, whatever.
7) Now buy on Blu-ray Hi-Def because the pretty lady on the commercial told me it's more better....
8 ) Realize I've spent over $200 watching the same three movies.
9) Bittorrent!

Every day a few more people wake up to the fact that they are being fleeced over and over again for the same thing but so long as the majority of the unwashed masses is willing to continue to support this business model nothing will ever change (other than big media finding more ways to sell us the same thing...)

/end rant

Martian

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:33 pm 
The sad thing is I have no problem buying a movie once...I've got hundreds of DVDs...I'd start buying blurays of new movies if I could actually play them by adding a player to my pvr. Since that won't work, I'll either buy the movie on DVD until that's no longer an option, or get the movie onto the pvr by other means. I'm not going to buy a settop bluray player...it defeats the purpose of a multimedia pc that plays everything.

The sad thing is, I'm a programmer, I should be against pirating since I wouldn't want my apps pirated. But I also realize that you can only go so far trying to prevent that before you start harming your legitimate customers, or potential customers and ruining your reputation.

IMHO, that is what the RIAA and MPAA are slowly doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:21 am 
Back in the 80's when VHS and Beta were getting popular, a new pre-recorded tape went for between $70 and $150 while blanks cost, what $4.50. Overnight rentals were $4.00 until the local Rite-aid started renting for $0.99. I had a substantial collection of pirated VHS, copied from rentals, or recorded off HBO.

At some point pre-recorded videos dropped to the $10-$30 range. (after the infamous "rental window") At which point I stopped pirating. A first-generation recording looked better, and being legal made it worth a few extra bucks. VHS had no DRM, (unless you count macrovision) and people still bought scads of VHS.

DVD's came out in the late 90's, no rental window, and with the .com bubble disks could be had for $2-$35. The bottom end has come up to about $10, but still worth it. I consider myself a collector, I have somewhere between 800-900 titles. A friend asked "Why don't you just rent from Blockbuster, and copy them?" Aside from hating Blockbuster my answer is, "If you collected Stamps, would a photocopy of a stamp be satisfactory?" at this point I don't WANT pirated DVD's.

My point to any studio execs trolling the forum is, Talk all you will about free-market economy, there is a thriving "pirate economy" that is your competitor, and they're smarter than you. Better DRM will not stop them, because "Access Control" is not, and never will be "Piracy Control." Your only option is to lower prices and drop DRM. People WILL pay extra to be legitimate, but are smart enough to measure the total TCO. No matter how you measure it DRM sucks, and poses no impediment to the real pirates; it only pisses-off us legitimate users who find it tramples our Free Use access to our collection. I think XKCD put it best in comic 488. Why can't I legitimately play DVD's on Myth? Why do I need a whole new Windows-based computer and monitor to play blu-ray? answer EFFING DRM!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:36 pm 
Wow. This is the first I've looked into this. I had no idea DRM had gotten so bad. I just bought a Samsung HD LCD and wanted to upgrade my MythTV box to play Blu-ray discs. Right now you can get a internal blu-ray player for $99 and an HD capable/DVI output video card for $35. Simple upgrade from my SD MythTV box. Now you're telling me I have to get a $200 blu-ray settopbox because of DRM??? How dumb. Please tell me I'm wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:23 pm 
larrydag wrote:
Wow. This is the first I've looked into this. I had no idea DRM had gotten so bad. I just bought a Samsung HD LCD and wanted to upgrade my MythTV box to play Blu-ray discs. Right now you can get a internal blu-ray player for $99 and an HD capable/DVI output video card for $35. Simple upgrade from my SD MythTV box. Now you're telling me I have to get a $200 blu-ray settopbox because of DRM??? How dumb. Please tell me I'm wrong.

Option 1 = I can lie to you and tell you your wrong.

Option 2 = Embrace your new Hollywood overloads.

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Go to page 1, 2  Next