View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:24 pm 
So, I'm attempting to do a clean install on my main box with a new drive, and put the current drive in the old one. But I've run into a snag. When I put the drive into the other computer I get the 'c7' error. It's going to a machine with a Siluro T400 (mx400) card, and I have no clue how to edit xorg.conf so it will boot.

The HD setup in the current machine is
ide 160gb with mythtv installation
sata 750gb mounted to /myth/tv
usb 500gb mounted to /myth/video/USB

The machine I'm trying to move the 160gb drive into only supports ide. But I was hoping I could get it to boot, so I could put the sata 1tb into the main machine, do a fresh install, restore the recordings part of the db to the new installation, and remount the other two drives.

Unless there is a better approach.

I don't want to do an upgrade as the current machine has some things misconfigured and I think a clean install would fix several of them.

KM: R5.5
CPU: Athlon 3800+
Vid: nvidia 7300GT
Snd: Chaintech av-710
Tuner: PVR150
HD: 1000gb sata + 750gb sata + 500gb usb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:01 pm 
Gibble wrote:
When I put the drive into the other computer I get the 'c7' error. It's going to a machine with a Siluro T400 (mx400) card, and I have no clue how to edit xorg.conf so it will boot.

As far as just getting it to boot without the c7 error, you can edit the "device" section of xorg.conf and change the driver to "vesa" and comment out (#) any custom modelines. Then a ctrl-alt-backspace to restart the X server. Not knowing what your previous configuration is, I'd take a stab and say that the mx400 card is not supported by the video driver that is currently being used. You'll likely need to install the NVIDIA legacy driver, which is beyond my expertise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:05 pm 
Well, if you just need to get up-and-running, you could try switching to the generic VESA driver. Open /etc/X11/xorg.conf, locate the last Device section (it should deal with your video card), comment out the existing driver line, and replace it with Driver "vesa" like the following:
Code:
Section "Device"
    ### Available Driver options are:-
    #Option "sw_cursor"
    #Driver "via"
    Driver "vesa"
EndSection

You also could try running install-nvidia-debian.sh as root to have it attempt to install drivers for your MX 400 card.

Another option, if you have the hardware, is to reinstall your drives into your old system, run a database backup (or use the excellent KnoppMyth backup scripts), setup your new system as you described, and then connect your old hard drive using an external USB adapter to selectively restore what you need from the external drive. Check the wikis on selective restoring.

If you need additional details, just holler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:21 pm 
I got through that, but now I can't get mythbackend to start. The front end is up, but when I try and run mythbackend I get

Channel(/dev/video0::Open(): Can't open video device, error "No such file or directory"

So something still isn't right...

Oddly it loads the watch videos screen and listen to music screens no problem (even though the data isn't on the drive...)

...so it must be loading the db somehow?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:35 pm 
What I would do is go into mythtv-setup, drop your existing tuners, and re-add them.

It is remotely possible that you have a permissions problem on /dev/video0. If you want to check, at a command prompt, issue an extended ls command:

Code:
# ls -ld /dev/video0

The mythtv user should have read-write access to the device. An unmodified installation of KnoppMyth should have root as the owner of the device and video as the permitted group (of which the mythtv user is a member):

Code:
crw-rw---- 1 root video 81,  0 Jul  9 18:22 /dev/video0

If the permissions look wrong, you can reset them.

Code:
# chown root /dev/video0
# chgrp video /dev/video0
# chmod ug+rw /dev/video0

Given the error that you provided, though, my guess is that a newer version of the driver is renumbering the devices, in which case, dropping and adding the tuners in mythtv-setup will take care of your problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:40 pm 
That worked! Never even clicked that the /dev/video0 and /dev/video1 were the tuners that aren't in this machine!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:34 pm 
Now I just have to get the proper DB tables backed up and restored so that when I remount the drives I will have all my recordings, videos, music, etc...

What tables do I need to backup and restore?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:44 am 
Searching for mysqldump should turn up a recent thread with the details.