View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: bt878 wintv card
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:00 pm 
Hi,
Seem to be having trouble getting life in the fast lane with R5.5 and my older Hauppauge card. I have not been using it as tuner for quite some time however because of kernel changes looks like it may be required as full setup in order to use it at all.

Card works fine using xawtv and interestingly enough the image shows in the phone window also after I run xawtv. But so far no matter how I beat on it, can't seem to get the KM box to give me tv or show a composite source.

dmesg id's the card as a 10 and I think the tuner was 19. I am unsure of the tuner as the label is in bad shape so can't look it up. Have tried several tuner choices 2/10/21/27/31/36 without any results. Using /etc/mythtv/modules/bttv to put in the options.

Any suggestions?
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:49 am 
This is the same kind of card I put in my sister's R5F27 box a couple months ago, and I haven't been able to get it to work since I upgraded it to R5.5. I haven't had much time to work on it though, so I figured it was some simple setting I had wrong. Is anyone else using this card with the new release?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:58 pm 
Hi,

Thanks, nice to know it is not just me. So far I havehad no luck with R5.5 and the bt878 cards. In theory the same setting you used in F27 should carry in the later versions as that is a hardware configuration for card type & tuner type.

It not only kills the tv viewing but also kills motion & zoneminder which is an awesome tool. What more could one ask for than to have your favorite KM box keep an eye on the back door while you sleep or are on vacation?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:39 pm 
My NTSC WinTV-GO bttv bt878 v4l software encoding tuner card (I'm trying to put in keywords) doesn't work in R5.5, whereas it worked fine in R5F1 and prior versions using:

Code:
options bttv card=10 tuner=8

Previously people have mentioned issues with V4L being different in R5.5:

Quote:
It seems that part of the v4l has been "depreciated" and is no longer a part of the newer kernels. It is the part that works with the bttv chips and causes the call to the driver to go into an endless sleep.

I'm surprised there is so little talk about problems with R5.5 and bt878 tuners that I'm wondering if this problem is already well-known or what? Help please!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:00 pm 
Hi,

It may be that folks are simply retiring the old bttv cards or staying with F27?

I did read somewhere a while back that some of the bttv was now in the ivtv. I wasn't paying attention at that time as the card was working fine. It was when I started to "move up" and I tried to use motion, and then simply as a tuner / composite input card that I found I was still not able to get anything from it.

It does work nicely with xawtv and the live Zoneminder so I know it is still good, just haven't figured out how to make any of it happy in R5.5.

My Linux skill level isn't very much above a newbee if it is that high so was hoping someone might throw this old dog a bone to maybe get started down the correct path. In between time I keep poking a sharp stick at once in a while when an idea pops up. I have been looking for that reference to the bttv inclusion into ivtv but so far it eludes my detection.

Thanks
Mike