View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:57 pm 
Can someone recommend a wireless NIC that is known to work with R5.5?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:48 am 
I highly recommend the Buffalo Wireless Gaming Adapter - it fit my situation perfectly.

http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products/wireless/wireless-g-mimo-performance/wireless-g-mimo-performance-ethernet-converter/

Both of the FE only machines that are in my kids rooms used to use Linksys wireless PCI cards. Because of their physical location, I always had signal strength issues. When installing R5F27, I had a hard time getting the linksys cards to work, so I decided to go another route. I purchased a Buffalo Wireless Gaming Adapter, which is basically a wireless switch - it connects to the home network via wireless connection, and has 4 wired network ports for other devices to connect to. It works perfectly, and I've never had a signal strength problem - even in the same location that the linksys cards gave me trouble. It also makes setting up new versions of KM easier - no wireless configuration to deal with.

Hardware Specs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:49 pm 
Thanks for the feedback. From what I've read, some wireless cards need a bit of tweaking to work properly. I'm looking for one that'll just work :)

What are the model numbers of those Linksys cards?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:17 pm 
Both the Linksys cards were WMP54G. I'd be more specific, but I sold the cards to a co-worker a few months ago, and he is no longer a co-worker...

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1150490054358&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=5435839789B12

While they worked (after a lot of tweaking) under R5D1, I couldn't get them to work under R5F27. I'll admit that I am not an expert in Linux, but I am quite capable, and definitely not afraid to try things out. I didn't try for too long - I had a limited window of opportunity to get everything going without upsetting the family. A few days after I got the Buffalo adapter, someone else posted the solution here. If I remember correctly, it was a very simple solution, so I would bet that the Linksys cards 'just work' now.

Hardware Specs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:38 pm 
Thanks for the link. The card is for a friend actually, running R5.5 on an ancient P3-500 MHz machine (he's just watching avi files, no live or capped mpg streams). Anyway, the guy only goes to bestbuy and I checked on their website, that's the only PCI wireless-g card they offer so cool.

I hope it'll just work with R5.5 as you suggested :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:09 am 
I hope everything works out for you - I wouldn't be at all surprised if it does.

If you do have trouble, I think the 4th post in this thread has links to the solution...

http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16447

If you (or your friend) do try a WMP54G, please let me know how it works out.

Thanks -

Hardware Specs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:03 am 
adoute wrote:
If you (or your friend) do try a WMP54G, please let me know how it works out.

Got it up finally. With the exception of something messed up in mysql, and now my ssh tunnels do not work, the card is up and running.

Seems to be inturruption in the service though. At times when I'm connected via ssh, my putty window seems frozen. After a few seconds, it unfreezes (almost like the rrd problem). It didn't do this when using the wired NIC.