View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:50 pm 
I just changed from Cable to DirecTV and I had to use an RF modulator to hookup the receiver as it does not have one built in. It seems to work OK.

I noted that the satellite receiver has a s-video out and the pvr-150 has a s-video in and thought I would try that with rca audio to line-in for sound.

I noted two problems:

When the sound is routed directly to the soundcard line-in jack and not through the pvr-150 (coax), I only get sound when the line-in volume setting is increased. Also, the sound plays all the time no matter what. The master and pcm volume controls have no effect.

The other problem is that the audio and video sync is terrible. It makes the programing look like it was poorly dubbed.

The s-video and direct audio quality is slightly better than the rf-modulator but I do not see a way around these two issues. If anyone can show me a better way to do this, I would appreciate it! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:33 pm 
PVR cards are MPEG-2 encoders and are supposed to record the sound as part of the MPEG-2 stream they produce.

If you don't connect the audio output from your sat. box to the PVR's audio input the audio track in your recordings will be missing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:21 am 
That's just it. The PVR-150 doesn't have an audio input. It can get audio from rf and then output that to the line in of the sound card. That doesn't work if there is no rf (coax) unless I'm missing something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:35 am 
Yes, actually it does, and you are. Go read the docs that came with the card. If you threw them out you can download copies from the Hauppauge web site as PDF. http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_pvr150.html

The non-MCE card has two round plug jacks on the back, the smaller bottom one is for the remote, and the upper one is a standard 1/8" stereo jack for audio input. (The MCE has two more obvious RCA phono jacks.) So all you need is an appropriate cable or adapter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:09 pm 
Wow! All this time I thought it was audio out like my old bttv card. I'll have to give this another try!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:55 am 
Works great! I am now rf-modulator free!

Thanks for pointing out the obvious solution. :oops: