View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:29 am 
http://registration.hauppauge.com/webst ... ct=hvr2250

I'm tempted to get it since it's internal and can do 2 digital stations at once. I don't much care that it can do 2 analog or 1 digital and 1 analog. Actually, I do care. It makes it potentially more complicated. I can just see myself trying to get it working an not realizing I have it hooked up to the analog connection.

But I'd hate to shell out the money and find that it's crap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:18 am 
FYI the driver for this card is finally stable!

http://www.kernellabs.com/blog/?page_id=17

Still risky at this point from a hassle perspective, but I think this card has great potential to be a hit. I'm sorry, but the stats of this thing blow the pchdtv-5500 out of the water. We'll see how it stacks up in the real world though.

I just ordered one, and will be hacking up my mythbox trying to get the new driver working. I'll keep you posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:26 am 
srahrens wrote:
FYI the driver for this card is finally stable!

http://www.kernellabs.com/blog/?page_id=17

Still risky at this point from a hassle perspective, but I think this card has great potential to be a hit. I'm sorry, but the stats of this thing blow the pchdtv-5500 out of the water. We'll see how it stacks up in the real world though.

I just ordered one, and will be hacking up my mythbox trying to get the new driver working. I'll keep you posted.

Agreed, the specs do look very nice. Please let us know how your box runs with it in there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:03 pm 
Update: I'm now able to compile and load the driver under R6 using the following tutorial:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7344302#post7344302

I pretty much followed the tutorial, except: instead of installing mercurial and build essentials, which I was afraid would break R6, I just grabbed the stable driver via wget from the source url from the driver web page (here). Because of this there's no need to call hg clone [...] either.

Note: R5.5 does NOT work. The driver compiles, but doesn't load or recognize the card.

The result: I can set up the tuners in mythtv and scan for channels, but I can't yet actually find any QAM channels through Comcast. I'll keep you posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:55 pm 
You need to choose QAM 256 to find Comcast digital channels. The setting is buried pretty deep into the tuner scan channel options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:29 am 
Thanks for the tip. I've actually gotten this QAM thing more or less figured out, and have been intending to write a little howto. I guess there's no time like the present, so here's a VERY little howto:

Here's how I got QAM channels WITH guide data in Knoppmyth R6 preview 2:
1) make new video source cable-qam w/ no listings grabber
2) scan qam channels on cable-qam, with "cable" frequency and QAM 256 encoding
- be patient here. It looked like it wasn't finding any channels. But when I let the scan complete it found plenty
3) fix xmltv ids by looking them up on Schedules Direct and navigating to channel and hitting 'e' key
4) change cable-qam listings grabber from none to your normal SchedulesDirect
5) run mythfilldatabase --refresh-all

I then went into the the channel editor on MythWeb and demoted all the channel priorities of the SD channels that I replaced with digital/HD channels, and set them to invisible. This is not essential, just my way of making sure I chose the QAM channels first.

Let me know if anyone has luck with this.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:26 pm 
Thanks for the tutorial and posting it all here. I'd be breaking the chain if I neglected to post my process with this as a 1st time MythTv builder, and a Linux "cherry." Hope this helps

I have the Hauppage 2250 on an old 2ghz machine. Installed LinHES (Knoppmyth r6). Went through the myth bunto tutorial posted above but because of my lack of linux chops, and the diffences between kernals, I fell short so far.

Still using the mythbunto tut as the guide, it appears apt-get is not and option in r6, and wget on http://kernellabs.com/hg/saa7164-stable/ (per my understanding srahrens' post) only gets me an html file.

From what I read, pacman is the arch linux equivelent to apt-get. Here's my first speedbump:

after "sh extract.sh", everything extracts, but I notice on the screen it tells me to move the files, and provides the syntax to do so. However I haven't been able to figure out how to do that as of yet. I'm assuming it's another mythbuntu/linHES command difference.

srahrens, if your still around can you or anyone else post your thoughts. Am I correct, that after the extract, I am to move the files? Then if knoppmyth folks are supposed to skip the mercurial part, do we just proceed to "cd whateverdirectoryImovedstuff" and continue at make? Oy, sorry it appears I'm lost without GUI...

Post subject: new findings.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:42 pm 
for linHES r6 - using the afore mentioned tutorial, I found instead of "sudo apt get install" use "packman -S", or "sudo packman -S".

I am trying my setup using mercurial. Also in order to run the "make command" I had to run "sudo packman -S make" prior to using the make command since it isnt recognized by default.

hope this helps other newbs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:05 pm 
incase noobs look at this is is pacman not packman.

Cooling: Zalman cu?,
Display: Benq xx projector

Post subject: RE:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:01 am 
Quote:
incase noobs look at this is is pacman not packman.

Yeah, what nmcaullay said - without the "is is" part ;) kidding, thanks for the correction. Also you'll have to switch to the root user to complete the tutorial.

After all that LinHES now recognizes my tuner.

Now I have to figure out the best settings to grab channels from my local airwaves.

I'll post some of the settings once I figure them out. But here's the plan:

for the modulation settings since I am in the US, and do NOT have cable, I believe it's best to go ith 8VSB.

I'll use zap2xml to get the TV schedule (http://zap2xml.110mb.com/)(http://vanvalkinburgh.org/blog/644)

I already created an account at http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCGrid.do

next I will perform the step found at http://vanvalkinburgh.org/blog/644:
"perl zap2xml.pl -u email@crap.com -p password
mythfilldatabase --file 1 -1 xmltv.xml #should add the channels again and add data for the guide, replace 1 with the number of the source, if you only have one source, then keep one."

[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:52 pm 
I mighta missed something, but didnt zap2it get superceeded by schedulesdirect?

I'm in Oz, so only read about these things on the KM forum, so could be way out of line...

Nathan

Cooling: Zalman cu?,
Display: Benq xx projector

Post subject: Re
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:17 pm 
Schedulesdirect will feed right into MythTV, so it's definitely easier, but from what I'v been reading I should be able to create a cron job that goes and downloads the xml file from zap2xml, and I would turn my mythtv "grabber" setting to none, since the cron job will be putting the file into the schedule directory and kicking off the mythfilldatabase.

Turns out I don't even need it a schedule at the moment. The manual record feature is just as easy. If I ever get around to this next phase, I'll post updates.