View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Nvidia 177.80?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:10 pm 
Has anybody successfully installed the new NVIDIA 177.80 drivers?

I was able to install the drivers, but now everything segfaults. X comes up but mythfrontend, backend, setup, even nvidia-settings all segfault.

I've found a thread that talks about GLX causing issues, this may be the problem here but I haven't been able to figure out what else needs to be installed.

I checked Dmesg, basically all it says is : segfault @ address error 6.

I'm still doing google searches. There is a lot of info on this topic, just haven't found something specific enough yet.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:29 pm 
You're on the bleeding edge of this one. I didn't even know there was a new driver released. Which version of KM are you using? R5.5? I'm sure someone who can help will be along shortlly...

Post subject: Nvidia 177.80 drivers
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:06 pm 
I have the same problem - I just installed Nvidia 177.82, and mythfrontend segfaults

kernel: mythfrontend[3945]: segfault at ffffff48 eip b5c
a17bd esp bfaabb30 error 6

I'm running R5.5, has been working perfectly until I decided to update Nvidia graphics driver by downloading from their site and running the installer script.

Post subject: Nvidia 177.8x
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:01 am 
I ran into the same issues with segfaults when using Nvidia 177.8x drivers.
After several moments of panic, as root I did:

nvidia-installer --uninstall

Then rebooted and let install-nvidia-debian do it's thing and reinstall 173.14.09, all is well now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:53 pm 
I tried this, following the directions on the wiki page here: http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=UpdateNvidiaDrivers...
Everything seems to work but xvmc. The main mythtv pages come up, I can watch sd video just fine, but when I try to watch HD or anything that requires xvmc then I get a blank screen and mythfrontend seems to hang. I can't exit back to the menu unless I kill the process and then restart it.

I'm running R5F1 but with a recently compiled mythtv 0.21-fixes.. 19528, up until now xvmc worked in nvida drivers 9776 (I think that was the version). I updated the nvidia drivers to 173.14.12. My card is a Geforce 5200fx.

I was trying to update so I could use the "UseEvents" option, according to my Xorg log files it wasn't supported under the old drivers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:59 pm 
nyxx wrote:
up until now xvmc worked in nvida drivers 9776 (I think that was the version). I updated the nvidia drivers to 173.14.12. My card is a Geforce 5200fx..

You should make sure that /etc/XvMCConfig is pointing to the right place with:

Code:
ls -l `cat /etc/XvMCConfig`

If it comes up with an error (no such file or directory), change the contents of the file to point to the new location. If it comes up with a symlink to a file, make sure the file it's pointing at exists and is the correct version.

If this confuses you, just run the command and report back.

Regards

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:59 pm 
manicmike wrote:
nyxx wrote:
up until now xvmc worked in nvida drivers 9776 (I think that was the version). I updated the nvidia drivers to 173.14.12. My card is a Geforce 5200fx..

You should make sure that /etc/XvMCConfig is pointing to the right place with:

Code:
ls -l `cat /etc/XvMCConfig`

If it comes up with an error (no such file or directory), change the contents of the file to point to the new location. If it comes up with a symlink to a file, make sure the file it's pointing at exists and is the correct version.

If this confuses you, just run the command and report back.

Regards

Mike

OK, this is what I get;
ls: cat /etc/XvMCConfig: No such file or directory

The odd thing is that it works sometimes now. I had to add Option "NVAGP" "0" to my xorg.conf and comment out the Option "UseEvents" "True" that I was doing this upgrade for. But now not all of my channels that have an HD signal are using the xvmc. Before I did anything, all of the channels from that source had the gray OSD but now some of them have the color OSD indicating that xvmc isn't working.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:43 am 
nyxx wrote:
OK, this is what I get;

Well, that makes it easier. Create the file and its content should be something like /usr/lib/libXvMCVNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1. This file is not actually a file, but a symbolic link to the most recent version you have on your system. Does the symlink exist on your box?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:39 pm 
manicmike wrote:
nyxx wrote:
OK, this is what I get;

Well, that makes it easier. Create the file and its content should be something like /usr/lib/libXvMCVNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1. This file is not actually a file, but a symbolic link to the most recent version you have on your system. Does the symlink exist on your box?

Mike

Yeah, I have a symlink that looks like this:
libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1 -> libXvMCNVIDIA.so.173.14.12

I'm assuming from your post that I should create /etc/XvMCConfig as a link to the libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1 file. I'll give that a try.

EDIT: Maybe I misunderstood.. a google search makes me believe that's a config file and I should edit it and enter "/usr/lib/XvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1" into the first line. I'll give that a try first.