View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:17 pm 
I have two serial port IR blasters from irblaster.info. I have two tuners in my slave backend and I'd like to use them with two set top boxes. Has anyone done something like this?

This is not straightforward, as it looks like I'll have to create two seperate /dev/irblasterd devices and possibly two lirc devices? /etc/init.d/irblaster creates the devices and assigns them to COM1 or COM2 at boot time.

Alternatively, has anyone tried the commandir or iguanaworks ir blasters? They look like they can control more than one device.

Thanks,
Hari

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:23 pm 
Are your settop boxes identical? If they have different IR codes, it is easy, because you can put both sets of codes in the lircd.conf file and configure your blasters in parallel so that both emitters transmit the signals for both settop boxes. The settop boxes will only respond to the codes that they recognise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:09 pm 
They're identical boxes. I have Verizon FIOS with Motorola QIP2500-3 boxes. I have two separate IR blasters, each on a different serial port (COM1 and COM2).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:49 am 
Last I looked (and this may addressed this since), the lirc_serial module could only support one serial port. This means that you had to compile a completely separate version of lirc that with different identifier names so that it would not clash with the operation of the first version of lirc. This link:
http://www.mmdsi.com/mythtv/MythTV_DISH ... _LIRC.html
talks you through how to build a second independent instance of lirc. If you follow the instructions there and carefully configure teh original lirc instance and the ledxmit, you should be able to control one box with irsend, and the other with ledxmit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:44 am 
I think you're right; lirc only supports one serial port at a time. Thanks for the link. I hadn't heard of ledxmit. I don't know if the Motorola boxes support different command sets.

But I think I may go ahead and buy a commandIR. It looks like it will do what I want pretty painlessly (except for lightening the wallet, that is).