View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Two tuners -> no boot
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:37 am 
I've just installed a second Compro DVB T300 and I can't get my machine to boot with both cards installed (either one on its own in either slot and it boots fine). After much fiddling about with a number of BIOS options and disabling various boot options where it appeared to be hanging, I think I've found the point at which it really hangs. It seems to be hanging just as it enters INIT 5.

Now that's about the extent of my Linux knowledge - just enough to work out where the problem might be, but not enough to fix it - so does anyone have any suggestions for where to look next?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:51 pm 
Well I fixed the problem. In the end I installed R5.5 on a totally different machine. Not so much a fix, more of a problem avoidance. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:30 pm 
If you have more than 2 PCI slots on your motherboard, it sometimes helps to move the card to a different PCI slot...

Marc

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:02 am 
Unfortunately this was an old small form factor desktop with only 2 PCI slots. The new box is the same (but a slightly newer model). I think it was the original PC that was the problem as it was beta hardware that they probably hadn't ironed out all the bugs from. I used to work for a major computer vendor and ended up with an old evaluation unit. The "new" box is an end-of-lease unit returned to my employer that they were about to throw out. When it comes to hardware, I'm not picky about the source, particularly if it's free, though it does tend to mean my machines are at least 3 years old by the time I get them :)