View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: wifi chipset?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:11 pm 
can anybody recommend a good wifi chipset that "just works" with KM?

For a few years i've had a Dlink D520 card that has barely worked and been nothing but trouble. Runs with the madwifi drivers-- i never got wep,wpa, etc to ever work on it, and the connection quality and reliability were less than stellar. (I'd say crap).

Looks like my old mythbox has finally died so it's time for new hardware and i'd like to get something that will be a lot less of a pain. Suggestions welcomed!

cheers - j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:38 pm 
I have a 3(?) year old D-Link DWL-G510 that works just fine with the madwifi drivers. I'm running R5E27, so not sure about the latest release, but the results should be similar.

Wireless depends so much on environment you might switch cards and still get the same result. Have you checked signal levels, etc? I have to restart ath0 every couple of weeks as it gets stuck, but that's acceptable as the only usual network activity is downloading the schedule.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:44 pm 
mlbuser wrote:
I have to restart ath0 every couple of weeks as it gets stuck, but that's acceptable as the only usual network activity is downloading the schedule.

Thats where we differ -- i don't find that 'acceptable'. :) If anything happens to my main router, i have to manually reset the wifi on the mythbox. It can't recover on it's own. Overall i've found the madwifi config a tremendous pain. And i've long given up trying to get WEP to work. The whole setup has been 4 years of patchy reliability at best.

My dream would be a recommendation for a chipset/adapter that *just works* with the without all this faffing around...... esoteric configs, ndiswrapper, or having to rebuild the kernel or drivers, etc.

But given the silence, I'll probably spend $100 and get another wifi router ,bridge WDS between them, and just use ethernet out of KM. It seems the least painful option.