View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:11 am 
I am looking at getting a new remote as I am tired of setting up mine by hand everytime I upgrade, plus I need to get one for the Myth box I am building for my Father in Law.

Could I get people's opinions on which remote and don't be afraid to suggest something I have not thought of. Looking to hear what people think when they don't have one that comes with their TV card.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:52 am 
Streamzap vs. Harmony = Apples vs. Oranges

We have 2 Harmony remotes in the house, love 'em. Both emulating the Hauppauge A415-HPG, using serial IR receivers from irblaster.info.

Now, the real question is what else do you want to control with this remote? The Harmonys control our receivers/TVs/STBs/Myth boxen all with a single remote. If you don't need to control other components then the Harmony probably isn't what you are after as they are fairly pricey. If you anticipate using it with other equipment I would recommend taking a test drive to be sure it will handle your components.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:55 am 
The StreamZap and the Harmony do different jobs. StreamZap adds IR to PC's (and mythboxes) that don't already have IR. The Harmony is a universal remote to control ALL your stuff with ONE remote. you could end up wanting BOTH.

My two mythboxes use MCE remotes, but for universial functionality I'm using a OneForAll 8910 by UEI, who also makes remotes for Radio Shack. IMO the 8910 is the best of the various JP-1 remotes. If you've never heard of JP-1; It's an undocumented, unadvertised, and (wink) unsupported programming interface on the remote.

There's a whole community built around making interface cables and programming software for these remotes. Compared to the choices you mentioned I'd say a JP-1 Remote is less than half the price, but more than twice the effort however after you've gone through the effort, the JP-1 remote will be much closer to exactly what you want.

I gotta admit though the learning curve for JP-1 is DAUNTING. I'm looking at upgrading a bunch of gear but my 8910 has been perfectly programmed for years. I've been thinking of getting a Harmony just so I don't have to relearn how to make the "device upgrades" and macros to do what I want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:24 am 
Thanks for the great comments so far, to add some clarity I will explain what I will be using the remote for. First and foremost I will need to control my Myth box and really that is about it. I don't really need to control my AMP (it is the only other thing that I really needed to consider to control) as once it is turned on, by hand when you turn on the TV, that is it. Everything else is controlled via the Myth box.

So in essence I have answered my own question, I would still like to hear peoples comment on either remote so I can ensure I make a fully informed decision.