View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:42 pm 
With my new set up I have my Myth box connected to my CRT TV via svideo-composite convertor (small plug that came with the video card) and connects to the TV via composite. When the computer is first turned on the screen is out of whack in that the picture looks to the down and to the left a bit.

When X starts and you get the MythTV interface it straightens up but the problem is the picture is Overscaned way too much. All four edges are cut off and I can't see everything, especially when I am looking at options.

I have tried looking through nvidia-settings but there is nothing there. I have put a line in xorg.conf for TVOverScan but this has no effect. Could anyone with their infinite wisdom guide me down a path will allow me to see all the picture.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:06 pm 
Hi Girkers,

Are you using a digital (DVI) cable to your TV?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:21 am 
Quote:
connected to my CRT TV via svideo-composite convertor (small plug that came with the video card) and connects to the TV via composite

Mike did you read the first line of my OP?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:38 pm 
Girkers, there is a tool under:

Utilities / Setup -> Setup -> Screen Setup Wizards

That allows you to move the edges of the screen (in the menus). I used it on my HDTV to view the entire menu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:56 pm 
Thanks Knappster I will give it a try. The only concern I have is that this will only move the MythTV interface and not the whole X window, this will be especially relevant as I use xine to watch my avis and the like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:43 pm 
You may not get the overscan option in nvidia-settings due to the S-video -> composite converter. I have an R5.5 frontend attached to a CRT via S-Video and can set the overscan within nvidia-settings. You could add the following line to your /home/mythtv/.nvidia-settings-rc:
Code:
0/TVOverScan[TV-0]=<some value ranging from 0 - 25>
and then make sure it kicks in at bootup by adding the following to your /home/mythtv/.fluxbox/apps:
Code:
[startup] {nvidia-settings --load-config-only}

Again, with the converter in place I don't know if this will help, but it's worth a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:42 pm 
slowtolearn,

I have attempted to do what you have mentioned and found that it did not work. Even when putting the setting in place and then running nvidia-settings it does not appear. Doing some reading on the next with the newer generation of cards, mine is a 8400GS it does not work.

In my playing around I some how inadvertently changed the driver in my xorg.conf and it booted up with the VESA driver. I found this time the screen was underscanning, thus you could have used an Overscan setting to fix. When I re-enstated the nvidia driver the display is automatically overscanned.

So to conclude it currently looks like a bug in the nvidia driver and just a matter of time to wait and see if they fix it.