View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:32 am 
I have a mythbox with a Hauppauge 150 working perfectly and a pinnacle pctv HD pci card not working.
When I'm in the setup and I do a channel search it finds all of my channels just fine. When I try to use it to tune channels in Mythtv it times out with a black screen. Any ideas Ya'll?

MattBatt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:55 pm 
Site Admin
Investigate the backend logs in /var/log/mythtv.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:25 am 
Not sure if you saw this wiki writeupon installing and configuring this Pinnacle card, but its worth taking a look at. Your problem may be addressed in this paragraph:
Quote:
If you are using the card for clear QAM tuning, set the signal timeout and tuning timeout to 15,000 miliseconds in the capture card setup screen.

This is definitely an issue with QAM tuning with this card -- not sure it will help if you are ATSC, but might be worth a try....

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:50 pm 
Site Admin
Good catch! Works w/ ATSC as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:37 pm 
sorry guys haven't been playing with the computer in a while just had a baby.... well my wife did.
I'll be trying that answer out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:32 am 
OK so I've got video working now but no audio and I don't think my system can handle the digital signal (It has locked up every time) and there is some black and white "digital" looking lines at the top of the screen (closed captioning?) but other than that it's somewhat working now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:40 am 
mattbatt wrote:
OK so I've got video working now but no audio and I don't think my system can handle the digital signal (It has locked up every time) and there is some black and white "digital" looking lines at the top of the screen (closed captioning?) but other than that it's somewhat working now.

What's your hardware configuration?

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:22 am 
I'm gonna have to put this project on hold for yet ANOTHER week. My washing machine is leaking water it looks like there is a hole in the outer drum and it's gonna suck to fix it.

In short my setup is a Pentium 4 2.4 GHz a 512MB ram. Happauge PVR-150 (working well the tuner records in mono instead of stereo), Pinnacle PCTV HD (only video working), and a PCTV USB (not a pctv stick it's an external box and I haven't gotten that to work at all)
and a PCI Audio card Teratec ewx 24/96 that I have working on the analog side but the SPDIF out isn't working. I don't care about SPDIF too much and I might pull the card and just go back to motherboard audio I haven't noticed a huge difference in sound and I have to restart alsa everytime I re-boot the system for some weird reason

I'll be back in a week or so,
Thanks for all the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:31 am 
2.4ghz P4 is boarder line for hidef. If you're testing by watching live TV, try doing a test where you make a 2 minute recording and then play it back after the recording has completed. See if you get a better outcome.

You have two choices to compensate for the processing power issue:

1. Enable XVMC if you have an nvidia card.

2. Enable Hyper Threading ("HT") in the BIOS, if your CPU supports it.

Make sure that "max CPUs" (or maybe its called "max processors") in your playback profiles are set to 2.

Don't try to use both at the same time -- my experience is that XVMC + HT don't work together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:45 pm 
I don't have a HDTV is there a way to to tell the card to record the digital channels at standard def or would that require more processing power. I don't believe that the P4 has HT. I'll look into enabling xvmc the card is a 5200.
Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:40 pm 
The card is able to record analog -- here are some considerations:

1. If you are getting your signals from OTA (Over The Air), then all analog transmission halt sometime in Feb.

2. Many cable companies will continue to provide analog transmission for some time to come.

3. Recordings will use more CPU time, but should not be a problem for your machine.

I haven't used this card for analog recordings, but I believe some others have -- best bet is to search the forum.

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:33 pm 
sorry should have been more spacific I'm tuning the unencrypted QAM channels on my digital cable service. They only give me the local channels unencrypted. The analog side is giving me the little white thingys on the top of the recording and also no audio. The biggest problem I've found in searching for info on Pinnacle cards is that they are all named nearly identically. I bought it on woot cause it was $30 that day I'm paying for it now.
I guess that's what makes it a hobby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:24 am 
Site Admin
mattbatt wrote:
I bought it on woot cause it was $30 that day I'm paying for it now.
Same card I got. Works great for OTA here... Getting anything via QAM is very dependent on you cable provider.