View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:06 pm 
Now wait a minute, something just occurred to me. For *NOT* HDTV: If you look at both recommended hardware and success stories in the wiki and these forums, my computer, ram and video card are all waaaay above spec. Hauppauge 350 is fine, let alone the MX440 or MX4000. TRANSCODED video is NOT HDTV. So why on earth would I have stuttering problems, maxed CPU, with 480x480 already transcoded video on an otherwise completely idle CPU of an overpowered machine?

I think there is something more wrong here than just a less than sexy brand new machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:31 pm 
Note that resolution isn't the only reason you can get stuttering in playback of DivX. If the file has too-high a bitrate you will get it as well. Can you determine what the bitrate is of the files you're trying to play back?

Also, when they're talking about good playback at 480x480, they are almost always talking about files recorded by a Hauppauge card, which records standard-definition MPEG2 files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:53 pm 
Howdy again

ceenvee703 wrote:
Note that resolution isn't the only reason you can get stuttering in playback of DivX. If the file has too-high a bitrate you will get it as well. Can you determine what the bitrate is of the files you're trying to play back?

I have it set for 900 and further scaled for size, down from default of 1400 not scaled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:28 pm 
Transcoded to what? MPEG2? MPEG4? At what resolution?

While there is support for hardware acceleration on MPEG2 playback, you have to have your configuration setup correctly for it to work, and there's none at all for MPEG4.

Doing some testing yesterday before enabling XvMC I had my poor old test box (Athlon XP 2400+, 512Mb RAM, Nvidia MX4 (Nforce2 IGP) video) pegged at 99% CPU with just 720x480 SDTV recordings burned to a DVD. Using XvMC dropped it to around only 15%.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:51 pm 
Hi, thanks tjc

tjc wrote:
Transcoded to what? MPEG2? MPEG4? At what resolution?

Only transcoding options knoppmyth offers are mpg4, and "RTJPG" (which seems to be codec specific to mplayer?). RTJPG grinds down the machine completely at any resolution. MPG4 -- the sizes and resolution-- see above in this thread.

tjc wrote:
While there is support for hardware acceleration on MPEG2 playback, you have to have your configuration setup correctly for it to work, and there's none at all for MPEG4.

See above in this thread. Yes, I have acceleration working for native HD feed from disk, mpeg2.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3