View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:05 pm 
Hello,

My system's ALSA related info is at this link: http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=018a1 ... d05bfaa92b

I am running Knoppmyth R5.5 on an Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard (with ASUS's spdif header installed for optical out).

DTS Passthrough works PERFECTLY via my S/PDIF connector to my receiver and I get a red DTS light on the receiver and beautiful surround sound.

However, I cannot get AC3 passthrough via S/PDIF to work, even though it APPEARS to be working perfectly in Mplayer, Xine, or Mythtv. All I hear is silence, even though the AC3/DD light comes on on my receiver and goes off again when I stop playing a video, and mplayer for example looks happy:

Code:
sh-3.1$ mplayer -vo null -ao alsa:device=spdif -ac hwac3 ./Test\ AC3\ v2.0.avi
MPlayer dev-SVN-r26940
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ (Family: 15, Model: 75, Stepping: 2)
CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.

Playing ./Test AC3 v2.0.avi.
AVI file format detected.
[aviheader] Video stream found, -vid 0
[aviheader] Audio stream found, -aid 1
VIDEO:  [DX50]  640x480  24bpp  25.000 fps  159.3 kbps (19.4 kbyte/s)
Clip info:
 Software: Nandub v1.0rc2
==========================================================================
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffodivx] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-4)
Forced audio codec: hwac3
Opening audio decoder: [hwac3] AC3/DTS pass-through S/PDIF
No accelerated IMDCT transform found
hwac3: switched to AC3, 384000 bps, 48000 Hz
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, ac3, 384.0 kbit/25.00% (ratio: 48000->192000)
Selected audio codec: [hwac3] afm: hwac3 (AC3 through S/PDIF)
AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch ac3 (1 bytes per sample)
Starting playback...
VDec: vo config request - 640 x 480 (preferred colorspace: Planar YV12)
VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is 1.33:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
VO: [null] 640x480 => 640x480 Planar YV12
xscreensaver-command: warning: $DISPLAY is not set: defaulting to ":0.0".
xscreensaver-command: warning: $DISPLAY is not set: defaulting to ":0.0".
A:  33.4 V:  33.4 A-V:  0.000 ct:  0.000 835/835  0%  0%  0.1% 4 0

Exiting... (End of file)
sh-3.1$

The above test file is one of many many AC3 encoded files and DVDs I have tried. PCM and DTS works so shouldn't AC3 also work?

I actually am also having a problem with PCM audio: I have to use a custom .asoundrc in order to get audio to not sound "slowed down" when played from my optical out connector. I have to force the sampling rate DOWN to 44100Hz because at 48000Hz all PCM audio comes out "slow" on the receiver. Also, when resampling is disabled, I see mythfrontend giving "buffer underrun" errors in the log files while trying to send the PCM audio out. I am sure this is unrelated to the S/PDIF problem that I am having.

The sound card is the onboard NVidia / AD1986A based GeForce MCP51 HD Audio chip, which uses the snd-hda-intel driver.

It seems like a LOT of people really like this motherboard and so I must be able to get it working for AC3 passthrough, but after months of struggling (literally) I am running out of ideas.

Does anyone have any that I can try? :)

Regards

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:58 am 
Just to follow up with some more information: This seems to be an ALSA problem because I just tried booting up a couple of different non-Knoppmyth linux distributions via Live CD (Ubuntu and Linux Mint) and both of them had the same problem with AC3 audio only. However the card ran fine with PCM at 48000Hz when I wasn't in Knoppmyth.

Very strange, I now need to test with another receiver and see if it is the receiver that is ignoring my AC3.. hmmm...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:46 pm 
Update: Reinstalling Knoppmyth to see if it works "out of the box" because I read somewhere online that it should with this hardware. I can't remember where though, d'oh.

The next step will be to see if it works on this hardware in a non ALSA-based OS ... which unfortunately means temporarily booting up a Windows installation. Ugh...

generica wrote:
Just to follow up with some more information: This seems to be an ALSA problem because I just tried booting up a couple of different non-Knoppmyth linux distributions via Live CD (Ubuntu and Linux Mint) and both of them had the same problem with AC3 audio only. However the card ran fine with PCM at 48000Hz when I wasn't in Knoppmyth.

Very strange, I now need to test with another receiver and see if it is the receiver that is ignoring my AC3.. hmmm...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:36 am 
I ran Knoppmyth from the Live CD and DTS passthrough works while AC3 doesn't. So that means the next step is to see if I can get AC3 pass through to work at all on any other OS besides Linux (as ALSA on multiple linux installations has not worked with my sound card.) Gonna make some partition space to install windows on this box now... guh.

.... not that anyone is involved in this troubleshoot besides myself. ;)

generica wrote:
Update: Reinstalling Knoppmyth to see if it works "out of the box" because I read somewhere online that it should with this hardware. I can't remember where though, d'oh.

The next step will be to see if it works on this hardware in a non ALSA-based OS ... which unfortunately means temporarily booting up a Windows installation. Ugh...

generica wrote: