View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:31 pm 
Thanks, tjc - it _was_ pointing at the wrong lib. Fixed it (I think) and tried again - no dice. Current output from your suggested commands:

gwhite@mythtv:/etc/X11$ lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8623 [Apollo CLE266] integrated CastleRock graphics (rev 03)
gwhite@mythtv:/etc/X11$ cat /etc/X11/XvMCConfig
/usr/lib/libviaXvMC.so.1
gwhite@mythtv:/etc/X11$ ls -l /usr/lib/lib*XvMC*.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Jan 18 19:28 /usr/lib/libI810XvMC.so.1 -> libI810XvMC.so.1.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Jan 18 19:28 /usr/lib/libIntelXvMC.so.1 -> libIntelXvMC.so.1.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Jan 18 19:28 /usr/lib/libXvMC.so.1 -> libXvMC.so.1.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Jan 18 20:56 /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1 -> libXvMCNVIDIA.so.173.14.09
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Jan 18 20:56 /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1 -> libXvMCNVIDIA.so.173.14.09
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Jan 18 19:28 /usr/lib/libXvMCW.so.1 -> libXvMCW.so.1.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Jan 18 19:28 /usr/lib/libchromeXvMC.so.1 -> libchromeXvMC.so.1.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Jan 18 19:28 /usr/lib/libchromeXvMCPro.so.1 -> libchromeXvMCPro.so.1.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Jan 18 19:29 /usr/lib/libviaXvMC.so.1 -> libviaXvMC.so.1.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Jan 18 19:29 /usr/lib/libviaXvMCPro.so.1 -> libviaXvMCPro.so.1.0.0

I also tried libchromeXvMC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:13 pm 
You might want to try the /usr/lib/libchromeXvMC.so.1 one too. There are some differences between the unichrome and openchrome drivers, especially in the areas around TV output.

Also see the XvMC page on the MythTV wiki for how to set up your xorg.conf to use those drivers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:17 pm 
The openchrome driver bundled in Knoppmyth appears to be stale:

(II) LoadModule: "openchrome"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//openchrome_drv.so
(II) Module openchrome: vendor="http://openchrome.org/"
compiled for 7.1.1, module version = 0.2.902
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 1.0
(EE) module ABI major version (1) doesn't match the server's version (2)
(II) UnloadModule: "openchrome"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//openchrome_drv.so
(EE) Failed to load module "openchrome" (module requirement mismatch, 0)

I suspect that it would have the same issue. I've seen a few other people trying to disable modules in circumstances like this, and only reports that it was happening, no-one successfully disabling modules that xorg decides it wants to load no matter what _you_ want. :(

Darn, this is frustrating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:17 pm 
greg.white wrote:
The openchrome driver bundled in Knoppmyth appears to be stale:

You can try updating the drivers from the debian package archive via apt-get. Before doing so you probably want to make sure that your /etc/apt/sources.list points to the stable repository...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:42 pm 
Latest openchrome, same result. If I cannot find a way to force glx disabled, or replace that library with one that doesn't need SSE, then I guess I have to write off the hardware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:07 pm 
I used the OpenGL libraries and X that NVidia backs up (after taking quite a while to find them), and was able to get a working front end display, and (after some fiddling) to get XvMC to load on the front end (absolute requirement for such a low-powered CPU).

Unfortunately, the MESA OpenGL libs seem to have an issue or two (crash on actually using XvMC for anything) - quite possibly caused by fiddling around on my own part before I finally figured out how to fix the real issue.

If I get it working properly, I'll post the config here - useful for anyone with an NVidia backend and a VIA front end. It requires breaking XvMC for the back end, but in my case that's a non-issue - the backend is pretty high powered, it can do it in software quite nicely.

Post subject: SOLVED
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:51 pm 
This turns out to be as simple as:

1. Set up all the OpenGL libs like it's for the VIA - restore the MESA libs backed up by Nvidia. Rename them with a higher version # than NVidia in them if you want ldconfig not to mess the links up for you.

2. Build the frontend with knoppmyth_diskless_frontend.bash . Customize the xorg.conf and XvMCConfig files appropriately.

3. Create a new playback profile for the frontend - and this is where the crash came from - apparently ViaXVMC isn't quite compatible, at least on my hardware. I just created ViaXVMC and set it to run ViaXVMC for resolutions >0x0 .

If you need OpenGL/XvMC for both front end and back, I believe you'd have to customize the diskless image to use its own /usr rather than nfs mounting it, and then hack that up for your new front end's xvmc.

If this turns out to be needed by or useful for bunches of folks, I'd be happy to write up a step by step to append to this post or write up a new post or wiki entry just for the purpose - if you had this kind of problem, and struggled but solved it yourself after lots of work, or if you're having this problem and are stuck, I believe that such a HOWTO would be quite useful. Either post here or email the address in my profile.

Thanks to all who posted, helping me to get to the point where it was solvable, and to those who make the best PVR distro on the planet possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:10 pm 
I regularly try to warn folks that the playback profiles are an area where the canned solutions are less than ideal. I always use my own simple custom ones, matched to my hardware, and they're much more reliable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:34 pm 
Yeah, the default profile is really quite smart, but you can't account for everything - esp. when ViaXVMC supports the call but crashes. :)

I see a lot of views of this thread but no "me too" posts or anything like that - so either my situation is quite rare (possible, even likely IMO) or every one else solved it way more easily than me - also quite possible. Personally, I think Knoppmyth has spoiled me, in that it has pretty much worked OOTB up until this point.

tjc (or cecil, or anyone) do you think there's value in a detailed HOWTO on the Wiki or another forum post?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:21 am 
Site Admin
greg.white wrote:
tjc (or cecil, or anyone) do you think there's value in a detailed HOWTO on the Wiki or another forum post?
Yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:38 pm 
What the man said. :D Thanks for volunteering!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:02 pm 
http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php? ... entChipset

Comments welcomed.

Go to page Previous  1, 2