View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:27 am 
My old faithful LG DVD-RW drive has died. I swapped it out for one I had lying around and, while it works ok, it has issues with some DVD's I own, specifically REGION 1 DVDs and me being in REGION 2.

Does anyone know of a region free dvd drive for my mythbox, or how to make a region 2 dvd drive work as non-region under linux?

By googling, I've only turned up reference to windows solutions to this problem. :(

Regards Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:21 pm 
Site Admin
On R5.5
Code:
man regionset

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:33 am 
Region setting annoys me to no end. I could understand if they used it just on new releases. Unfortunately, region enforcement is used more as an attempt to enforce price differentials, which is potentially illegal in some countries (hint: order a drive from Australia).

Anyway, if you have a mix of regions in your DVD collection, you will probably want a fix that isn't limited to 4 or 5 changes. That probably means an RPC1 firmware.

Take a look at:

http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

You will probably want to get a drive that is listed here:

http://tdb.rpc1.org/

The annoying part, at least when I did it a few years ago, is that you will need a PC with a floppy drive (doesn't have to be the one you will eventually use the drive in) and a windows boot floppy. However, once it is flashed, it is good for the life of the drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:35 am 
Hey, thanks for the replies. I didn't get a chance to check yesterday.
Alien, those links are absolutely perfect.

Regarding the boot disk, I have (or had - have to have a rummage around for it) a small flash drive that I occasionally used to flash BIOS with. I had the basic windows boot bits on it. IO.SYS and whatever the other one is.... I imagine I could use the same flash drive to flash the DVD drive.

I'm trying to remember if I flashed this drive. I know my brother did a drive for me once, ages ago - was it the same one? Cannot for the life of me remember.

Thanks a lot.

Chris