View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:19 pm 
mihanson

Thanks, that worked to get rid of the utilities that blocked a pacman down load of the current driver, I got 190 something and nvidia-settings works on the desktop.

Now I'm still trying to get the frontend & backend to run. Error messages indicate the xorg server isn't initializing' server 0

I'm playing with the xorg.conf file, that wasn't updated for this card, and am playing with it manually. Is it possible to command a rescan of the nvidia card with xorg tools writing a new xorg.conf ?
OK nvidia-xconfig... ran it & wrote a newxorg.conf. Looked at Xorg.0.log.. pages & pages of validating modes on my monitor,
looked successful, but still at yellow splash screen, no front or back ends, command line or keyboard doesn't start them up.
More reading...

Further, a pacman -Syu ran, and downloaded a new mplayer, but wouldn't implement any of the packages because of a conflict with a 'themes' file ???! (I was running 'neon-wide' previous to the nividia card change..) there's a mention with no details in another thread. Could this keep it from running ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:49 pm 
snaproll wrote:
Looked at Xorg.0.log.. pages & pages of validating modes on my monitor,
looked successful, but still at yellow splash screen, no front or back ends, command line or keyboard doesn't start them up.
More reading...

Further, a pacman -Syu ran, and downloaded a new mplayer, but wouldn't implement any of the packages because of a conflict with a 'themes' file ???! (I was running 'neon-wide' previous to the nividia card change..) there's a mention with no details in another thread. Could this keep it from running ?

What do the /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log and /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log say?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:24 pm 
mihanson wrote:
What do the /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log and /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log say?

Well for starters, I have it up & working again...for lack of ideas, I went through nharris' 22 upgrade (http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20650) step by step, & it went pretty well & apparently found whatever my missing piece was.

As to your q. about front & back logs: front had no entries for two days, apparently never got started during my fooling around time.
Back inexplicably stopped at Dec 5 09 ??...

I'll be looking at them both for entries after it's run a bit...

Best part is it's running 3 days before my wife gets back from Denver, and my WAF takes a nosedive.....

:lol:

thanks for your help mike, without it I'd have started doing end runs around pacman (which, in the end, worked...) and probably hosed it good. I was pretty close to a 6.01 'upgrade' from the CD, which is a lotta work, cuz this is a two drive machine the boot one being a scsi, and it's difficult to convince the computer not to try to boot from the sata....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:14 pm 
I had trouble with the current nvidia driver from the testing repo on the 8400GS where it would error out and hang X. So I am now trying 190.?? and it seems to be more stable now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:43 pm 
I'm running it a bunch in 'watching' mode with the 190.x and so far so good.... :lol:

The 190.x came from the testing repo through pacman so is apparently current there now.

top is running about 55%.. no change from the previous card, but I didn't change the mplayer designation in the setup yet. Is the designation shown in the wiki ( Change the default video player to "mplayer-resumer-vdpau.pl %s") still current ?

So I changed the default video player to the above.... Now top is 68 - 74% ??!...... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:32 pm 
Indeed it is. The repo has 190.42. I moved to 190.53. I'm still having problems so I will try either 195 or move back to 185 which was quite stable for me. Then again, it could be the card.

I use the internal player only which has generally worked very well for me on tonnes of formats. Back in 0.20 days I could see the attraction to mplayer but these days, I'm not so sure.

I believe mplayer-resumer is supposed to be current and deal with vdpau in some form (I haven't checked) but if not you can add the needed paramers in /home/mythtv/.mplayer/config. That's also where I added my spdif sound mods so I can see apple trailers. :-)

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5