View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:48 am 
graysky wrote:
Kinda off topic, but are you going wireless or wired LAN down there? Best time to run some CAT5e is prior to the drywall going up :p

Wired LAN. I ran Cat5e throughout (There is also existing Cat5e wiring throughout the house). I ran telephone and coax cable for cable TV and a antenna that is going to be mounted in the rafters of my garage. I also ran HDMI cables through part of the walls so I can hide the cabling and Mythtv box in a storage area. I have one run that is Cat5 over a USB keyboard / remote control functionality at the TV.

I am very close to get everything done. Right now I am doing the finish work with hanging doors and wood trim work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:06 pm 
Quote:
Unfortunately I have yet had the chance to use the card yet. I am in the process of finishing my basement and this has taken a backseat for now. I will be ordering a Panasonic Plasma television this week so I am hoping to make some progress shortly.

On a positive note, I did help my brother-in-law successfully get his Motherboard to work with Audio over HDMI using Mythtbuntu 9.04 using this board:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813138113
[/quote]

Thanks much for the update. I am in a similar situation to you. My Toshiba LCD has arrived and now I need to upgrade my myth box. I would like to get the audio working over HDMI and was considering this card. However, I've see that some had success with the ASUS P5N7A-VM

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19486&highlight=nvidia+9300

Not clear if the ASUS P5N7A-WM works with R6 though.

Its funny that there have been very few postings to TIER1 or TIER2 regarding recent success stories. The two boards that Cecil used are not widely sold anymore. I remember relying on TIER1 postings when I built my first myth box 4 years ago.

Anyway, thanks again and good luck with the basement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:47 am 
mark60050 wrote:
novellahub wrote:
I just ordered this MSI card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814127396

I am taking the leap of a Plasma HDTV setup and wanted a card that could output native HDMI. My goal is to do audio over HDMI as well. Plus it has 512 MB of RAM over the MSI 8400 with 256.

I am going to attempt to upgrade to R6 in the process to take advantage of VDPAU.

So Novellahub how did this card work out for you? Did you ever get audio working over the HDMI? I am currently specing out a new system and am interested in audio over HDMI.

Finally I can post a update on HDMI Audio using the MSI 9400GT video card. The card itself comes with a small cable to connect the SPDIF audio header on the motherboard to the video card itself. You have to enable sound through ALSA:SPDIF in the Mythtv general settings and it works.

I tested this out on a separate hard drive on my production Mythtv box (See signature below) using Mythbuntu 9.04 (ALSA 1.0.20 / Nvidia 180.60). I am going to attempt it next with LinHES 6.0.09 to see how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:00 pm 
Well, I'm amazed at the difference with VDPau. After installing and creating the new profile (>=720x576). CPU usage was 85% with HD playback, now 4-8% using Advanced deinterlacing. The deint was a bit jerky so I changed it to Bob 2x. playback is now very smooth and the CPU is much more relaxed.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:30 pm 
Hi All,

Is the transcoding/commfrlagging issue sorted out when using vdpau?
I swung over to vpdau a few month ago, but several normal high-value mythtv operations were broken (commflagging).

Cheers,

NAthan

Cooling: Zalman cu?,
Display: Benq xx projector

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:55 pm 
nmcaullay wrote:
Hi All,

Is the transcoding/commfrlagging issue sorted out when using vdpau?
I swung over to vpdau a few month ago, but several normal high-value mythtv operations were broken (commflagging).

Cheers,

NAthan

Transcoding problems? VDPAU is just a hardware video decoding API (Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix) and is applied at the frontend.

Why would it cause problems with backend operations? Can you explain more about this?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:05 pm 
I think it is the "other" stuff that comes with mythtv-vpdau, results in mythtrasncode being broken (well it was back in May 09).
http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19635&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Cheers

Cooling: Zalman cu?,
Display: Benq xx projector

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:36 am 
I thought VDPAU would be ideal for resurrecting some retired former SD 1.8 ghz machines in HD.... but the 8400 gs card requirement for a 300 watt power supply kinda kills that... :(

Post subject: 8400GS Blew a Cap
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:08 am 
Thought I'd throw this out there as something to be aware of as the 8400GS seems quite popular - price/performance ratio and all.

I've had my 8400 for over 14 months now. It runs 24/7. Seems it came with cheap caps on the board. Sacon FZ's. While this is certainly not the only piece of hardware to ever blow a cap, or come with cheap one's :) the consensus on the net is that these caps are NOT held in high regard and are destined to blow. I'd suggest checking your card and re-capping it if necessary. I found replacements at badcaps.net for $8 shipped. Took less than an hour to replace.

The pic I stole from the net as it shows these caps clearly and this is exactly what mine did.

Best regards,
Jim

Hauppauge PVR150
Iguana Works serial IR transceiver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:33 am 
Hello all, I have the very same Card. (referring to the Sparkle 8400GS PCI card) At first I put it into my Celeron 340 Machine. I got no real change from the 6200 that was in it, However if you put this into something a little more recent, you will unlock the real potential of this card, I took it out of the Celeron and put it into my new build, which is am AMD X2 5300+ @2.85 GHz Rated at 5.7 GHz (without overclocking) and got much higher ratings. :shock:

A single core CPU is bottleneck for this card!!
I can post the benchmarks from Performance test 7 if you all want to see them. Let me know. send a reply!! I will give you the search string for all you that may have PT7 and you can download them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:58 am 
So I got an Asus 512k 8400 card to give vdpau a try, put it in my 3.4mhz IBM, running R6.01. Need to update a legacy nvidia driver from the former Quadro 1400 to the latest 193 driver.

Used the wiki command:
Code:
[root@mythbox121 greg]# pacman -Sy mplayer-vdpau
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core-testing is up to date
 extra-testing is up to date
mplayer-vdpau package not found, searching for group...
error: 'mplayer-vdpau': not found in sync db
[root@mythbox121 greg]#

The box boots to !00% and won't start the xserver. (Yellow splash screen) I can't get to the service menus, but I can ssh in.

What next to get where I'm goin' ?
I want to be careful with not messing up a working (production) box by going off in too many directions... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:16 am 
snaproll wrote:
Used the wiki command:
Code:
[root@mythbox121 greg]# pacman -Sy mplayer-vdpau
mplayer-vdpau package not found, searching for group...
error: 'mplayer-vdpau': not found in sync db
[root@mythbox121 greg]#

I believe the above command is outdated. IRC, the current mplayer package has vdpau support built in now. You may have to use something like
Code:
-vc ffmpeg12vdpau,ffh264vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,ffvc1vdpau,
on the command line or in your ~/.mplayer/config to use the vdpau features, but I'm not sure.

snaproll wrote:
The box boots to !00% and won't start the xserver. (Yellow splash screen) I can't get to the service menus, but I can ssh in.

Check /var/log/Xorg.0.log and see if it's loading the correct nvidia driver. Since you were using the legacy driver you may need to remove the old and install the new with pacman (you did not state if you did this)

Something like:
Code:
$sudo pacman -Rd nvidia-96xx && sudo pacman -Sy nvidia
may do it for you. Also ensure that the driver being loaded in /etx/X11/xorg.conf is nvidia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:57 am 
mihanson wrote:
I believe the above command is outdated. IRC, the current mplayer package has vdpau support built in now. You may have to use something like
Code:
-vc ffmpeg12vdpau,ffh264vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,ffvc1vdpau,
on the command line or in your ~/.mplayer/config to use the vdpau features, but I'm not sure.

Use the /usr/LH/bin/mplayer-resumer-vdpau.pl script as your wrapper for mplayer. It handles all the switches automatically.

See this flyspray task. Credit for the script goes to human I believe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:07 am 
mihansen: I ran aground on nvidia dependencies:

Code:
[root@mythbox121 greg]# pacman -Rd nvidia-96xx && sudo pacman -Sy nvidia
(1/1) removing nvidia-96xx                          [##########################################] 100%
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
:: nvidia-utils conflicts with nvidia-96xx-utils. Remove nvidia-96xx-utils? [Y/n] yes
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: vdpinfo-96xx: requires nvidia-96xx-utils
[root@mythbox121 greg]#

How many utilities do I need to be hacking away at ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:01 pm 
snaproll wrote:
Code:
[root@mythbox121 greg]# pacman -Rd nvidia-96xx && sudo pacman -Sy nvidia
(1/1) removing nvidia-96xx                          [##########################################] 100%
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
:: nvidia-utils conflicts with nvidia-96xx-utils. Remove nvidia-96xx-utils? [Y/n] yes
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: vdpinfo-96xx: requires nvidia-96xx-utils
[root@mythbox121 greg]#

How many utilities do I need to be hacking away at ?

Ok, I forgot about those... You need to rid yourself of all the 96xx packages.

Code:
$ sudo pacman -Q | grep 96xx

Based on that output then
Code:
$ sudo pacman -Rd <-Q output> && sudo pacman -Sy nvidia

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next