View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:48 pm 
My eVGA 7600GS with s-video out crapped out on me a few weeks ago. I finally got around to taking the box apart this afternoon and found not one, not two, but SIX blown capacitors. Of course it's three months out of warranty, and I didn't register it when I bought it which would have extended the warranty.

I'm looking for a PCI-E video card with HDMI output (may as well step up from the s-video) with excellent support. I suppose that means Nvidia, which is fine by me. I googled a bit and found any number of candidates. Price is a factor. My old card was $72 when it was new, and it looks like a new card with HDMI would run $80-90, which is fine. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:59 pm 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814127342

Excellent card, works w/ VDPAU, very low operating temps, passively cool, BEEFY heatsink, price is right.

See my posts in this thread. Remember, this is the MSI card NOT the Sparkle card!

Link to an 8 sec vid of this card in the case for some reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:13 pm 
Does that card take two slots? I didn't mention, but I'm probably going to need a normal-profile card, the PCI slots on either side of the x16 PCI-E slot are occupied by capture cards.

The price on that card looks fantastic, though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:15 pm 
Fish wrote:
Does that card take two slots? I didn't mention, but I'm probably going to need a normal-profile card, the PCI slots on either side of the x16 PCI-E slot are occupied by capture cards.

The price on that card looks fantastic, though...

I don't think I would classify it as a two slot card by any means... does that video clip I posted show you what you need to know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:09 pm 
graysky wrote:
I don't think I would classify it as a two slot card by any means... does that video clip I posted show you what you need to know?

Maybe. It looks like the heatsink is high-profile enough that it would obstruct the adjacent slot. Is that not the case?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:05 pm 
Fish wrote:
Maybe. It looks like the heatsink is high-profile enough that it would obstruct the adjacent slot. Is that not the case?

It's close... I don't have another PCIE card to plug in to test it for sure.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:26 am 
Fish wrote:
My eVGA 7600GS with s-video out crapped out on me a few weeks ago. I finally got around to taking the box apart this afternoon and found not one, not two, but SIX blown capacitors. Of course it's three months out of warranty, and I didn't register it when I bought it which would have extended the warranty.

I'm looking for a PCI-E video card with HDMI output (may as well step up from the s-video) with excellent support. I suppose that means Nvidia, which is fine by me. I googled a bit and found any number of candidates. Price is a factor. My old card was $72 when it was new, and it looks like a new card with HDMI would run $80-90, which is fine. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

I just picked up this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814127396

It has a native HDMI connection. I have yet to use it yet though. I am finishing my basement at the moment and will be picking up a new Plasma TV to take advantage of the HDMI. I am hoping to start using it at the end of the month or mid June.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:00 pm 
novellahub wrote:
I just picked up this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814127396

It has a native HDMI connection. I have yet to use it yet though. I am finishing my basement at the moment and will be picking up a new Plasma TV to take advantage of the HDMI. I am hoping to start using it at the end of the month or mid June.

Bad idea dude.... most of these cards have a 30 day return policy. If you are unlucky enough to get one DOA you'll be out of luck if your timelines get pushed out. At the least you should plug it in and verify that it works. I tend to leave new hardware on for a few days as well but that's just me.