View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:21 pm 
After banging my head against the wall with a serial blaster and R6 I have - perhaps unwisely - bought what appears to be a MCE2 type remote (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6880121002), mainly to use the irblaster. However neither the remote nor the blaster work despite configuring multiple times from the linhes service menu. Now, this could be bcs I borked something when trying to get the serial blaster (which worked fine under 5.5) working. So I'm wondering if anyone has gotten this remote (Anyware GP-IRO2BK Vista 2) to work with R6, or indeed any mce2 remote... per some user comments on newegg it appears to need the "mce_usb2" driver -- is this the same as the "mce" selection in the linhes service menu??? Or am I out of luck?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:38 am 
I have the microsoft mce remote with keyboard which is supported by the latest update of linhes.
In order to get the keyboard and remote working, the lirc_mceusb2 module has been removed and replaced with the lirc_mod_mce module which performs the lirc functions for the mce remote as well as supporting the mce remote keyboard.
The latest version of the lirc_mod_mce module has issues with key repeating, so the package provided by linhes uses an older version. I think the older version detects less compatible dongles than the new one.

What is the output from lsusb on your system with the mce usb dongle plugged in? I get this on r5.5:
Code:
root@mythtv:~# lsusb
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 024: ID 0471:0815 Philips
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Gory details:
http://linhes.org/flyspray/index.php?do ... task_id=27

I just looked at the product page you linked and it certainly doesnt look like a microsoft MCE remote, although this post seems to indicate that it should work like one provided that the device code is recognised. If you get back to me with your device code, we should be able to patch lirc_mod_mce to detect your remote.

http://www.nabble.com/Mediagate-GP-IR02 ... 32578.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:41 am 
Greg, here's what I get:

Quote:
[john@mythtv ~]$ [john@mythtv ~]$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 006: ID 1784:0008 TopSeed Technology Corp.
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Thanks,
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:13 pm 
OK, thats exactly what the problem is then. When I get the chance, I'll add the extra device details to the lirc_mod_mce built by the lirc package.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:06 am 
I have added an update to the the lirc package in this flyspray task:
http://linhes.org/flyspray/index.php?do ... ask_id=366
If you want to try it before it gets incorporated you can install the package manually (instructions in the flyspray task).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:16 pm 
Thanks very much Greg!!! I'll try it this weekend

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:30 pm 
I installed the lirc package manually as per the flyspray instructions without any erros, but still couldn't get the reciever to work. Tried 'irw' .. got nothing at all with any keypresses.

I've worked around the issue by swapping usb-recievers with a mythbuntu frontend that had a Microsoft brand MCE usb reciever. The Anwyhere/topseed usb reciever worked immediately in the mythbuntu unit and the Knoppmyth recognized the older Microsoft MCE reciever right away, so I guess I'll just leave them like that. Either remote works with either reciever.

Let me know if you want any more info or require some testing though, bcs it's not a problem to switch the hardware back and forth, and thanks for your help.