View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:24 am 
With the death of analog in the U.S. coming up, I'm replacing my PVR-150 and PVR-250 with two PCHDTV HD-5500 cards. (I already have a PCHDTV HD-3000 card.)

I have always used the PVR-150's remote control and so now need a new way to handle that. I believe the three PCHDTV cards will also fill up my regular-sized PCI slots on this motherboard. And finally, I actually don't use the remote that came with the PVR-150, but the Universal MX-350: http://www.universalremote.com/product_ ... p?model=40 which works fine with the IR hookup on the PVR-150.

What's the easiest way for me to have that remote control work going forward?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:33 am 
Not sure there's any way to use the 150's IR receiver.

I take that back, I'm SURE there's a way of rewiring it, but you'd have to Google around for that mod, probably involves wiring it up to a serial plug. Do you have serial ports on your motherboard?

Basically you'll either need to do that, or get or make a serial IR receiver.

Then, you'd have to configure LIRC to tell it you've got a serial IR reciever and that it should pretend it's talking to a Hauppauge remote. Never having done this either, hopefully someone else will fill in the details.

Or just buy a Streamzap for about $30 and plug it into a USB port... KnoppMyth automatically recognizes it and configures automatically too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:37 am 
I used the streamzap for my brother's myth box -- works great out of the box. Another option is the Antec Veris Basic -- see this threadfor more info. I'm still working with Harmony support to eliminate the lag problems, but my belief is that they will have this issue resolved within the next 1-2 weeks.

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject: serial IR receiver
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:01 pm 
I've been using the Iguanaworks Serial IR receiver for several years (uses a serial port connection).
http://iguanaworks.net/product2.psp

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:16 pm 
And if you're a do it yourself-er, sure enough, here's a page that describes how to hook up the receiver to a serial port:

http://www.terrington.id.au/linux/my-se ... al-adapter

Post subject: Upgrade completed
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:36 pm 
Original poster here:

So, I've completed the upgrade. (It's nice to be able to record three OTA HD signals at once!) I couldn't resist the Streamzapper solution for the measly $30. I plugged in the Streamzapper's USB receiver and typed (as root):

Code:
lirc-reconfigure.sh

I'm not sure if it mattered, but I had previously also typed:

Code:
modprobe lirc_streamzap
modprobe -r lirc_pvr150

anyway, the reconfigure script automagically said it was configuring the Streamzapper. I rebooted, put two AAA batteries in the remote, and the Streamzapper was working!

Next I just used the "learning" mode of my Universal MX-350 to teach it the frequencies of the Streamzapper and so now I'm back to using my old remote like nothing happened. (For anyone actually teaching the MX-350 I found that I had to just tap the Streamzapper buttons instead of holding them down as the MX-350's manual suggests as it didn't learn anything on long presses, only short taps.)

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.