View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:54 am 
I have just found LinHES, have tried a couple of other Myth distro's previously and always run into issues with the IR. It's been a year or more since I had a Mythbox up and running but after living with a Tivo for several months some members of the family just can't seem to do without it!!!
Install of LinHES was great and all appears to be working fine... except the IR.
On a HP DC6600 2Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD and a Dvico Dual Digital 4 card.
Just spent a few hours trying to track down the why on the IR not working and this is what I've found;

Running IRW gives response on only the number keys and a few others. Found references to FDI files but found my remote already was being ignored. It's a version 2 remote and I have the right lircd.conf and lircrc file for it.

What I have discovered though is that lirc is looking at /dev/input/event6 but that the remote is connected to /dev/input/event4.
cat /dev/input/event6 returns numbers for the number keys and nothing for most other keys.
cat /dev/input/event4 returns data for every key press on the remote. It's also the one listed in dmesg.log and lshal against the IR device.

Fine.
Bit of looking and I find out that I can change this in the hardware.conf file in the /etc/lircd/ directory. As that directory doesn't exist and the config files appear in /etc I figured it should be there, but no.
find / | grep hardware.conf finds nothing.

I found some examples of the file online but for other remotes, and I'm not too sure where I would find (or get) the data to create my own.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:58 pm 
daki wrote:
Bit of looking and I find out that I can change this in the hardware.conf file in the /etc/lircd/ directory. As that directory doesn't exist and the config files appear in /etc I figured it should be there, but no.
find / | grep hardware.conf finds nothing.

hardware.conf should be in /etc/lirc/ not lircd.

BTW, I don't see where you mentioned what remote you have.

Another useful tool for you to verify what signals you are actually getting into the driver is mode2. It shows you the signals before it is parsed through lircd.conf whereas irw shows you post lircd.conf. This will allow you to validate your assumption.

I'm surprised you couldn't locate your hardware.conf using say "find" but for your reference my standard hardware.conf looks like this:
Code:
# /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
#
# Arguments which will be used when launching lircd
LIRCD_ARGS="/etc/lirc/lircd.conf"

#Don't start lircmd even if there seems to be a good config file
START_LIRCMD=false

#Try to load appropriate kernel modules
LOAD_MODULES=true

# Run "lircd --driver=help" for a list of supported drivers.
DRIVER="default"
# If DEVICE is set to /dev/lirc and devfs is in use /dev/lirc/0
# udev uses /dev/lirc0 will be automatically used instead
DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
MODULES="lirc_imon"

If your IR receiver only uses one input then great. If it uses two inputs (e.g. like older iMon devices) then your hardware.conf will be more complex and you can find an example of the imon version in these forums where I wrote a how-to.

Have you also played with the LinHES service menu to choose your remote? It is fairly extensive.

Plan B would be to get a more standard remote. There are many cheap ones available these days. Most people go for a simple MCE RC6 based remote which as I recall is under $40.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:59 pm 
christ wrote:

What version are you running?

I have a fresh install of R6.03 and there is no /etc/lirc directory. There is also no hardware.conf file on the entire hard drive. All the lirc config files are in /etc in a default R6.03 install.

R6.03 uses runit ( http://smarden.org/runit/ ) to manage daemons.

Lirc is configured automatically by this file: /etc/sv/lircd/run when the service is started.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:25 am 
Hi There, thanks for the replies.
To Christ: The Dvico Dual Digital 4 card came with a remote which is the second version of the remote that displays in the LinHES service menu. As jzigmyth points out there is no lirc or lircd directory in R6.03 and I did write "find / | grep hardware.conf finds nothing". Thanks for the input but it looks like you are running a different version.

To jzigmyth: Thanks. This fits with what I see. I can see the theory on runit replacing init and the basic concept of how it works but I'm not much of a scripter.
With what I know I can follow a script.. somewhat.. If.. Then.. Else etc, but when it gets into the commands used in some of those lines I get a bit lost.
Time and Patience... I know.
So looking at the /etc/sv/lircd/run file I see numerous --output /dev/lircd
If I simply replaced them all with /dev/input/event4 then restarted would that work?
Haven't tried this yet because there are also a bunch of references to /dev/lirc and /dev/lircx and some scripting to work out the x number which I don't fully understand and I don't really see how /dev/input/eventx relates back to /dev/lirc

Hmm looking to and fro the script and dirs and files I think missed the mark somehow. This is where the scripting really throws me, commands that input and output from different locations that somehow tie in together. Mostly produces fog in my head at the moment cos I don't know which way to go. It must make sense, just not to me right now.
Am I complicating it or have I missed something really simple?

Guidance appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:51 pm 
Nothing to do in the Service Menu. Since you have a different use case:
Code:
#since what we do may not be enough
#if your one of those people, this is where you place your stuff
#This means place your lirc stuff in /etc/runit/lirc.sh. 
#Anything in that file will be used and the rest of this file is ignored

if [ -f /etc/runit/lirc.sh ]
then
    #program must not terminate.

stat_runit "Starting lirc"

/etc/runit/lirc.sh
else

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:45 am 
Finally worked it out. Thanks cesman, for a somewhat cryptic response that pushed me down the right path.

I pulled out my Linux Desk Reference SE and worked through the whole /etc/sv/lircd/run script and found that everything resolved correctly to a missing symlink. /dev/input/irremote
Checking the udev.d rules found /etc/udev/rules.d/dvicoIR.rules contained the line ATTRS{idProduct}=="db98", \ but the idProduct of my device was "db78".
Once I changed that all is working.
Very Happy :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:51 pm 
jzigmyth wrote:
christ wrote:

What version are you running?

6.03 but I forgot that I had updated lirc and I suspect I added /etc/lirc in the process. Sorry for any confusion.