View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:34 am 
I purchased a PVR-150 card off ebay (As-Is) and it turns out it does not work (damage to the card I didn't see till after a day or so of trying to figure out why R5F27 wouldn't see the card or it's inputs properly).

Anyway after thinking more about it, I'm thinking I'd rather end up with a PVR-500 and get the dual tuners out of the deal. And right now there are some good deals on PVR-500 cards without the bracket (or with a different bracket). So I'm thinking the cards look very simular, since the 150 has the fm tuner coax, and the 500 has two cable coax connectors as well as the other connectors.

So, all that for my question. Is the 150 bracket physically the same as the 500 bracket? (I know that the 150 is stamped with FM in for the top coax)

Amos B.

ps. The seller of the 150 after reviewing my feedback has offered (if they have one) to swap out the 150 card if I'll pay for shipping, but I don't see any other tuner cards listed in their auctions so I'm not holding my breath.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:38 am 
I have 2 PVR-150 and 1 PVR-500
My PVR-150 only have 1 coax/antenna input. They do not have the FM section.

My PVR-500 has two coax inputs but does not have the jack for the IR Blaster included with my PVR-150's

hope this helps. ymmv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:49 am 
bigbro wrote:
I have 2 PVR-150 and 1 PVR-500
My PVR-150 only have 1 coax/antenna input. They do not have the FM section.

My PVR-500 has two coax inputs but does not have the jack for the IR Blaster included with my PVR-150's

hope this helps. ymmv

Interesting. Are your 150's the MCE or retail box?

Here is a link to the ebay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... MEWNX%3AIT

As you can see it has the two coax inputs as well as the AV inputs that appear to be the same as the 500's pictured here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

Anyway, I'm still waiting to hear from the seller to see if he has found another 150, but if not It would be nice to know if the bracket is compatible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:55 am 
Mine are both Retail as I needed the Blaster to control my Satellite boxes.

The MCE version does have two coax and I believe one is FM as it is on the PVR-500.

I am not sure what the concern is with the Bracket being compatible? All of my cards are full height expansion cards they are interchangeable in my boxes.

I believe if you are trying to interchange Low Profile and Full Height cards on the Bracket that will not work. My Full Height cards are nearly the same height as the bracket and Low profile are nearly the same height as their bracket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:00 am 
bigbro wrote:
Mine are both Retail as I needed the Blaster to control my Satellite boxes.

The MCE version does have two coax and I believe one is FM as it is on the PVR-500.

I am not sure what the concern is with the Bracket being compatible? All of my cards are full height expansion cards they are interchangeable in my boxes.

I believe if you are trying to interchange Low Profile and Full Height cards on the Bracket that will not work. My Full Height cards are nearly the same height as the bracket and Low profile are nearly the same height as their bracket.

The problem is that the auction I'm looking at (as well as the one linked) either list as "NO BRACKETS" or show this:

Which clearly is meant for a specialized type of case. As such I'm thinking if the coax/svid/component locations are in the same location/spacing between the cards, then I can use the bracket from this (broken) 150 on the 500 (which is selling for cheaper on ebay due to having the non-standard bracket)

Amos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:45 am 
I don't know. The two pics on this page look identical.

http://hauppauge.com/site/products/prods_mcbuilder.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:48 am 
That is what I'm thinking I was just hoping someone out there that actually has both cards could verify for me before I spend $70 or so for the 500 card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:55 am 
Well, I'm taking the chance and I ordered a PVR500 with the odd bracket attached.

(Ok, it isn't that much of a chance as I noticed I have a Falcon II card that has the same spacing and mount locations, so if the ebay guy does find a card to swap I still have a bracket that should work if the 150 bracket would have.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:00 pm 
I just received my PVR-500 MCE. I removed my PVR-150 MCE and put the 500 in the slot. I removed the non-standard bracket before installation. I did not do anything else regarding a bracket. It is being held in place simply by the PCI slot. Computer-wise, it was the easiest thing I have ever done in Myth for a while. Sound and picture are fine. Just had to delete the old tuners and add the new tuners. The new tuners were found without a problem. One tuner uses a composite input (from a STB) and the other uses the tuner input fed by a comcast DC50X digital adapter. So far. so good. BTW, I am still using R5F27. The tuners replace the aforementioned PVR-150 and a Plextor TV402U which, for some reason, started causing me a lot of grief. That was the reason for the purchase.

-s-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:53 pm 
Received my card today (and checked the site where I bought it from) Paid $42 shipped for a pvr-500, the site no longer has it for that price. Sheww.. glad I didn't wait.

Anyway, the bracket from the 150 was a perfect fit.

The card is installed in my system, the inputs added and priorities set to that the 500 card records first and second, then my software card is last to record (hopefully never will have to) or is used for watching live tv..

Amos